Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Gone right off Batman

J and I are at the theatre watching The Dark Knight. I've been looking forward to this: a date, just the two of us on a Friday night, and a whole delicious 90 minutes of Christian Bale. So we're sitting there (no popcorn - maybe that was the problem?), and about a quarter of the way through the show I start thinking... this film is violent. Too violent. Keith Ledger's Joker character is too menacing - with his knife-scarred face and incessant lip-licking. I'm certain the author of Batman didn't intend it to be this sinister. (J assured me afterward that actually it was: the Dark Knight, as the name suggests, has a dark side and happy endings and cupcakes are not part of the plot here apparently)

I start to get fidgety. The baby is kicking me like a tiny footballer because of all the coca cola I've consumed; The person behind me keeps rocking my chair with his foot; The film is too loud; They should not have replaced Katie Holmes with Maggie Gyllenhaal - she's just not right, too drippy or something. I spend the next hour and a half thinking about ways to sneak out the theatre. There's fizzy pop drinks and chocolate out there. Much more appealing.

Before the credits are even up I turn to J and exclaim "thank GOD that is over" slightly too loudly. He peers at me suspiciously, like I've just slammed the Star Wars trilogies. "Really? I thought it was great."

I get the feeling from the excited comments leaving the theatre that everyone else liked it too.

Weird.
Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

No comments: