Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Dude where's my bra?



So, man bras...

An online Japanese retailer - Wishlist - started selling bras made for men a few weeks ago and have already sold 300. It's some sort of record for online lingerie sales apparently, which is why the story made it into the media.

The woman who owns the site said she received loads of emails from elated men, relieved to have finally found a place to get their hands on the man bras: clearly there was an audience base out there waiting for her product to go on the market. She also said she thought the bras might help men understand women better...

Big male market for bras: I don't doubt it.

Men wearing bras to understand women better: Yeah, no.

Call me cynical or whatever but this is a product for cross-dressing men, no? Let's not pretend it's something it isn't. And I've nothing against it, honest. I couldn't care less who wears a bra (unless of course my husband or father is wearing one). But if it were, say, for men that genuinely needed support in the boob region - they wouldn't be selling them in black, white and pink silk now, would they?

And the suggestion that men are buying bras to understand women better... I think not. Can I just take a moment to find the hilarity in this? If there really is a man out there that buys it for this reason - pal, I promise, strapping a silky piece of fabric around your chest is not going to cut it.

Personally, I'd rather my man didn't try to understand what it's like to be a woman by wearing underwear that looks like mine... If he really wants to know what it's like I've some more realistic suggestions...
Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

1 comment:

..... Carmen said...

The first thought that came to my mind was also cross dressing. That is the only reason I see that men would want to buy such a thing. I think there was a Seinfeld episode about this. I believe Kramer called it te manbra or something of that sort. I completely agree that wearing a bra to better understand women is very very comical. I too have much better suggestions...