Sunday, November 2, 2008

I'm going to be one of those embarrassing mothers...

Today was kind of a blah day. The weather was sort of dreary and our energy levels were low - possibly because of the massive amounts of left over halloween candy we'd eaten over the weekend. But we mustered up the energy to go out for lunch. Just to Montana's because it's close, kid-friendly, and they have good ribs.

The lunch menu said "served within 15 minutes or free". Oooh, free! I declared to J sarcastically.

Now, I'm not the type to keep track of these things. Honestly I'm not! But at least 30 minutes went by and no food! Matthew, by this point, was lobbing crayons across the restaurant, struggling to get out of the highchair and totally disinterested in the Cheerios I'd been trying to distract him with.

So, when the waiter arrived with the food, I (sort of) laughingly asked if lunch would be free, then, since the menu promised a 15 minute turn-around. J hid behind his menu and tried to pretend he was sitting with another table, while the waiter, a little flustered by my question, said he'd go ask the manager. He came back and, yes, the lunch would be free!

I felt satisfied and miserly at the same time. But, they made a promise! I wouldn't mind, but I know - having worked in marketing for long enough - that the people that come up with these ideas rely on customers not asking for their free lunch out of embarrassment. Anyway, we ate our free lunch (it was so so) and left a little sheepish. At least the waiter received a very healthy tip from us...
Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

1 comment:

fionacrowls said...

That's great!
I giggled all the way through that post!