Friday, May 8, 2009

Boyfriend jeans



I keep reading about this trend - boyfriend jeans. It's where you get a smelly, tatty old pair of your boyfriend's jeans and, um, wear them. And blazers too - if there's one lying around - preferably with chunky shoulders that make you look really awkward. The bigger and more ridiculous looking, the better, apparently.

To pull off this trend, you'll first need a boyfriend from whom to steal the jeans... hmm. Last time I had one of those I was yea high. See, if you have boyfriend jeans, you must therefore have an actual boyfriend, right? And that must mean you're, like, so cool.

But what do I know about fashion? Not much any more. I did once. Okay not really - but back in the day when I was studying design in London, I did attempt to claw my way up the ranks in the little fashion war that was going on with my fellow classmates. But I could never get it quite right. There were those that left me standing at the post, and then there were those so desperate to prove their individuality they were just absurd: one girl showed up to class with a string of Christmas lights under a black chiffon shirt. Honest, she did. I always wondered how she managed to illuminate those lights... must've been standing next to a socket or something...

Now, all I know is what I like. And usually I can tell when something looks good and when it doesn't. I've seen shots of A-list celebs sauntering around in their boyfriend jeans. Jennifer Aniston, Katie Holmes, Reese Witherspoon... And honestly, all I can think is UGLY. If it looks crap on them then who, exactly, does it look good on?

When did it stop becoming fashionable to look good?
Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

4 comments:

Crystall said...

I am so glad to read this post. I completely agree with your opinion of boyfriend jeans, but just felt as though it was another trend that I was just not fully understanding. I am always trying to keep up with what is the newest fashion trends as to hopefully not look 60 when I am 35. (Since children entered the picture, I am lost!) It was only a few years ago that I finally took off my ankle bracelet. I am from Va Beach and I always thought it was a beachy thing to do. I was asked politely by a very sweet (and trendy) girl if I was "stuck in the 80s". AGGGHH! Of course, the bracelet was ripped off of my leg within seconds.

jerseygirl89 said...

I can't even afford to have style anymore, but I still find it enjoyable to judge others. And this whole ugly thing started when Ugg boots came in, I think. Yuck!

Lady Mama said...

Crystall - I say keep the ankle bracelet and ignore the rude teenager... p.s. I love the 80's!

Jerseygirl - I was never a big fan of Uggs either...

Kimberly Kihega said...

Found you from the MBC. Loving your blog!