Sunday, May 24, 2009

Demoted in the looking-after-everyone ranks

Warm weather at the weekend means two things: working in the garden, and getting outside with the kids, without having to actually go anywhere (which is genius because anything is more appealing than venturing out with two kids under the age of two with their various diaper / feeding / napping demands).

But being outside means I become super paranoid about sun and skin. In between pulling up weeds (the extent of my gardening efforts this year) I ran around smearing sun screen on every inch of exposed baby/toddler skin, putting hats back on heads a thousand times, and trying to manoeuver little people into shaded areas that keep on shifting around the garden. I have two fair-haired, fair-skinned boys, and the thought of their delicate young skin being burnt makes me very uneasy.



While I was making sure they were protected, I kind of forgot about me - in particular my knees and shoulders which are now a little roasted.

It's so typical - to put the kids first and completely forget to give myself the same kind of care and attention. It's like that for so many things... Food, for instance: I'm meticulous about making sure Matthew has enough fruits and vegetables in his diet, along with proteins, carbs and a little fat. But when it comes to me, sometimes I'll go a whole day without even a glimpse of a piece of fruit.

And sleep: I can be almost militant about bedtimes and naps (although Matthew rarely naps these days). Because I know how important sleep is for development and overall health. Me - I rarely get to bed before midnight, and then am lucky if I get more than 4 or 5 hours (interrupted) over the course of the night.

Funny how, somewhere along the line, I decided to forgo my needs for the sake of theirs. Maybe that's just part of the deal when you have young kids. Something has to give, and of course they always come first. And there isn't enough time in the day to fit everything in. (I can come up with excuses all day)

I'll eat tomorrow and I'll sleep when I'm dead...

How about you?
Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

6 comments:

Blahbitty Blahbitty Blahbitty Blah! said...

Ha! I can completely relate to this post. It's hard not to forget about yourself in all of the taking-care-of-everyone-else. I am working on solving that issue myself. You are definately not alone!

Loukia said...

LOL! Yeah, I'll sleep when I'm dead, too! I too don't get to bed until 12:30 a.m or later - and wake up 6 or earlier, but with a million wake-ups in between! Such is the life of a mom with two young children, right?
The pics of your boys are very cute. :) And I'm like that, too, sunscreen all over and putting on their hats over and over and over again! I do manage to eat, though. Not as healthy as I should, but I need to eat!

..... Carmen said...

I realized this was going to be my downfall when Grace was just a few weeks old. When she started REALLY eating solid food, I started to make a conscious effort to eat with her, and what she was eating. It works most days to ensure I'm being as healthy as I try to make her. Mind you, lately her diet is becoming mine, which is a bad thing. This unborn babe REALLY likes Doritos.

Paging Doctor Mommy said...

Oh my... you and I sound EXACTLY alike! I always take care of Reagan first, and then forget about myself. I'm trying to do better, but it never seems to actually happen!

Lady Mama said...

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one! Maybe someday we'll get back to putting ourselves first... nice thought.

Carolee said...

It is so true- everyone comes B-4 mom!

Your kids are adorable!