Friday, May 22, 2009

How to stay calm when your toddler does things that make you want to rip your hair out

I think I need one of those security cameras that cover every corner of the house at all times. Because strange things happen when I'm not watching:

- Pen marks mysteriously appear on our leather footstool (and later, after several arduous attempts to remove them, are looking like they'll be there forever)

- Matthew is found siting quietly in his room with diaper rash cream smeared across his face camouflage-style, licking the white paste off of his fingers like it's peanut butter.

- Contents of bathroom drawers are spilled out onto the surrounding area and later located in other miscellaneous hiding places.

But with 2 or more kids you can't always be watching all of them...

And the thing is, all of these undertakings are done with the upmost cheerfulness (most of the time). So, despite wanting to rip out my hair, I try to stay calm.

So how do you stay calm during these moments?

Open a bottle of wine at 11 a.m. and start drinking. Take a few deep breaths a la these breathing exercises, and remember that this will probably only last a few years.

Happy Friday.
Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

6 comments:

Loukia said...

Love it! Yup, craziness at my house too, when I'm not keeping a close eye on my boys! I'm taking your advice and next time I'm going to try to remain more calm and try those breathing exercises! "This, too, shall pass", right? ;)

..... Carmen said...

lol - did you capture a photo of the diaper cream camo?

Lady Mama said...

Loukia - Ah yes my favourite mantra - "This too shall pass"!

Carmen - no, I wish I had, instead I grabbed a washcloth and wiped it right off!

Mammatalk said...

I love the diaper creme one! Happens here once a day! How do I stay calm? Blogging about it makes it easier.

Mom Mayhem says: said...

Heehe-Sounds like we both have mischevious kids! =D I know all too well the pen marks and diaper cream all over the walls. You know what they say-when they're being quiet you know something is up =D. It's nice to remember little tips to try and not rip your hair out.

Paging Doctor Mommy said...

I know all about wanting to open the bottle of wine early in the morning. I've lost count of the number of times that I've ALMOST done it. So far, I've managed to wait until dinner, but something tells me that the day is coming!