Monday, May 4, 2009

Indulgence

J asked me what I wanted for Mother's Day. I thought about what I'd like to do. Maybe lie in a bit in the morning. Maybe take off on my own for a few hours. Maybe a massage. Something indulgent.

This made me think about what I consider indulgent and what I used to consider indulgent before I had kids.

Before kids:
-Lying in bed until midday at the weekend.
-Reading a book without interruption for hours on end.
-Long leisurely breakfast in town with friends.
-Piano - playing and composing.
-Overspending on something beautiful and frivolous.
-Swim, sauna and steam room.
-And my favourite: taking off anywhere, whenever I fancied it, for as long as I liked. Imagine.

Now:
-Taking a hot shower in peace.
-Driving to the grocery store alone.
-Sleeping more than four hours in a row.
-Drinking a cup of coffee before it gets cold.
-And basically any opportunity to be alone for an hour.

So I guess I'll be pretty easy to please then.
Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

3 comments:

Mammatalk said...

I love it! I can relate!!

And, I love your writing.

blahbittyblahs said...

I can definately empathize. Or is it sympathize?

lil said...

i totally agree! sometimes bedtime is a blissful time..