Sunday, June 21, 2009

How to throw a birthday party for your toddler

Step one: A few months before the event, start imagining the details of a spectacular party that requires transforming your back yard into a secret garden wonderland, with stylish decorations, lavish finger foods, and a homemade birthday cake that will have Martha Stewart calling you for the recipe.


Step two: A few weeks before the party, realize there are too many kidlings clamoring for your attention and not nearly enough time to pull off such a feat. Then readjust your expectations to a more realistic level.


Step three: A few days before the party, become aware that you haven't done a scrap of preparing and that a bunch of adults and kids will soon be arriving for a party with food and drink and cake and loot bags.

Step four: Run like a wild person to the store and fling every possible party-related thing into your cart. Instead of buying a pre-made cake (like a sensible person with very little time would), purchase ingredients for a highly-complicated one. And instead of buying designed loot bags, purchase plain white paper bags and craft materials to decorate them. Because you have lots of time to do all this.

Step five: Assemble the party while always remaining calm and focused and patient with your children, even though they want to "help".

...Okay it wasn't really all that bad (but makes for more interesting reading though heh?). The party was good. And I even managed to pull off the cake. See?


Yes of course it's a Cars cake.

(Rolled fondant is my new BFF.)

I was dreading, dreading making the cake. Because basically I'm a BAD baker. People who like baking are very precise, very detail-oriented. And I'm not. I like to toss ingredients into a pan according to my best guess at the measurements and a splash of wine here and there.

And the loot bags... Please bear in mind I am not a crafty person at all.


Step six: When the party is done, fall in an exhausted heap and relax with the knowledge that as your kids get older, parties are going to get larger and more complex.
Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

9 comments:

Scary Mommy said...

Birthday parties are so exhausting! And I am mega impressed that you tackled fondant-- I'm so afraid of it!!

..... Carmen said...

Sarah it was a delightful party! We all had so much fun. The popsicles truly were a hit, and Grace tore apart the gift bag in the car she was so excited. Not to mention the cake was delish. It was a grand time had by all. Pat yourself on the back my friend :)

Lisa said...

Party hats off to you mama. Great job! I too am a bad baker, but I'm a fab cake buyer. Your Cars cake is awesome. LOVE the loot bags too. You ARE crafty! Well done. :)

Liliana said...

You did a great job with the party! Lexi had a lot of fun and of course squealed in delight when she opened her loot bag!

Liz@thisfullhouse said...

After 15 years, I feel it safe to say that Step six is my favorite and...rest assured...kids' parties can so get smaller and a LOT less complex. Because, I said so, I'm just sayin' :)

Lady Mama said...

Scary Mommy - don't be afraid, it's easier than it looks. If I can do it..

Carmen - glad you had fun :)

Lisa - thanks. I'm usually a good "bought" cake buyer too.

Lil - glad Lexi liked her loot.

Liz - well, you have lots more experience than me so I'll take your word for it!

Maternal Tales said...

Well done you!!! Sounds like you pulled it all together and no one need know about the drama behind the scenes. My motto - always make it as easy as possible for yourself!!! Bought cake, bought party bags...does that make me a bad mother? I liek to think it makes me a relaxed and therefore more attentive one! x

James (SeattleDad) said...

Su-Weet cake there. Well done. Lukas will turn two on Saturday and we are going to a kids Museum where we don't have to prepare too much ourselves. Good thing to because we haven't done much yet.

Blahbitty Blahbitty Blahbitty Blah! said...

Looks like you did a great job making a very special day. My youngest turns one in August; I better get busy! Thanks for the fun post.