Monday, June 15, 2009

Parents of many (more than 2)


I don't know how you do it.
I am in awe. I don't have the energy to even contemplate it.

There was a time, back when (hahahaha) I had no idea what it meant to have kids, when I really truly thought I wanted to have three, or even four children. I (hahahaha) fantasized about a large family with jovial dinners and splashy happy summer days with all the little pixies running merrily around the garden. In this fantasy I was the ultra chic, ultra composed mother, whose figure - by some freakishly lucky exception - had not been not displaced by childbirth. And I always had a plate of cookies and perfect hair. (hahahaha)

If you, dear reader, have more than two - how do you even have the time to be reading this? Isn't someone grabbing the back of your shirt or yelling something incomprehensible at you from another room?

I have two, and most of the time I feel like I'm just about keeping it together. It's true that having them so close together hasn't exactly made things easier, but still. Something is always "up". The endless cries for things that can only be provided by me, are exhausting. By the time I crawl into bed, I'm so tired I could sleep on a dancing camel.

With two, I barely get through the day in one piece. For instance:

-In the morning I attempt to get dressed and make myself vaguely presentable while my five month-old lies on the bed gurgling and trying to roll off the edge, and my toddler tears up and down the bedroom shrieking and driving his cars over everything including the baby.

-I attempt to eat breakfast but usually drink a pot of coffee instead. During the day I graze on food that takes no more than 30 seconds to prepare, does not require a plate, and can be shoveled in, in between shoveling food in to the boys' mouths.

-I don't attempt to get out on my own (except the one morning a week when my sitter watches both kids) and when I do it's usually to run errands, pick up groceries or things for the house / kids.

-Sleep? (hahahaha) No idea what you're talking about. Oh, you mean that thing that used to happen years ago where I would lie down in the evening and wake up eight hours later refreshed and revitalized? Oh yeah. No.

So, add a third child to that and how do you even have the time to breathe? Yeah, I'm in awe. I almost wish I had the energy to want a third child but honestly all I really want is to take a shower without someone wailing and beating their fists on the door.
Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

11 comments:

Loukia said...

Oh man... I KNOW!!!!!!!! I can barely take care of my two boys... it's sooo hard and it's constant work, you know? Non-stop! I took them both swimming at a friends on Friday, and I had to carry my 16 month old (27 pounds) in my right arm, and my oldest (50 pounds) in my left arm for one hour. Thankfully it didn't hurt too much in the water, but my arms are still killing me today after that! It was very challenging to be with both of them in the pool, let me tell you. I always need an extra pair of hands around to help and I only have two kids! It's sooo hard.

Nicole said...

uh I'll let you know...but I THINK it's going to be a lot like having 2...just more.

But you know what? I think you're going to do it...be a mom of 3. Not anytime soonish but I think it's in your future...once you forget what a gong show it is right now. :)

Blahbitty Blahbitty Blahbitty Blah! said...

Ha! I can definitely relate to this post. It sounds like my life. When I found out I was pregnant with my third ( a surprise), I was freaking out. Your post underlines my thoughts. That is how I felt. But, it has turned out OK. It is more busy and more hectic, but somehow, some way we make it. My sanity is dangling by a thread....but we do make it. :)

Paging Doctor Mommy said...

OMG I feel EXACTLY the same way, and I only have ONE to worry about! I used to say that I wanted a houseful, and lately I have been saying that I want at least two more, but in the past week or so, I have considered just getting my tubes tied to prevent anymore! These three year old melt downs are starting to get the best of me!

liliana said...

LOL I must be crazy because my day sounds very much like yours yet i consider a third. mind you i have not slept for longer than a couple of hours in a row this may be affecting my judgemnt...

Lisa said...

Hahahahahahahahahaha! I so absolutely hear you sister. I THOUGHT I wanted 4 children! Ha, ha. As if. Cudos to those who can pull it off. I...can not! :)

Lady Mama said...

Loukia - no wonder your arms are aching after carrying around those boys! (27 lbs at 16 months!)

Nicole - I have a (horrible) feeling I will be too some day... although ask me right this minute and I'll say NO WAY.

Crystall - it's good to hear that you CAN actually make it through the day with three kids ;)

PDM - Oh yes I can relate, there are days where I think about making it final.. but something stops me.

Lil - yup I think it's the sleep deprivation talking! haha

Lisa - I'm thinking you didn't have kids when you wanted 4 ;)

Scary Mommy said...

I am reading this while hiding in the gym's locker room while my kids are at the daycare. There are not enough hours in the day and I'm always exhausted!!

Daddy Geek Boy said...

Amen Lady Mama.

I took my two kids out on Sunday morning so I could give my wife a bit of a break. Man, those were the longest four hours ever.

How do you guys do it?

Stesha said...

My life is hectic...sometimes downright crazy. But all 7 kids are worth it to my husband and I.

Hugs and Mocha,
Stesha

Midwest Mommy said...

I am adding you to my reader! We have so much in common. Seriously the hubs always wanted like 6 kids when we were dating. After our first he said maybe 4, after our second kid we are both done, lol.