Thursday, July 16, 2009

Lovin' me is easy cus I'm beeootiful

Lalalalalalaaaaa.

Kidding obviously.

The title was merely designed to spike your interest.


BUT. On a serious note.

This afternoon, after I had finished feeding my toddler his highly nutritious vegetable pasta bake, and was then eating my not even remotely satisfying lunch of a rice cracker and can of coke, I thought, you know, there isn't enough self-love* going on. Not in my neck of the woods. Maybe not in other people's either. If there was, perhaps there would be less stress, anxiety, depression, heart disease, etc., etc.

I know it sounds obvious. We hear it all the frigging time from the media, from our well-meaning friends and families. I even say it to people. By now we should be masters of taking good care of ourselves. So why then, does it seem there are still so many like me, who have plummeted to the bottom of the wellness priority ladder in the bid to look after the rest of the family?

T
ake care of yourself.

Wise words. I'm an (reasonably/sometimes/after coffee) intelligent person. I hear them. But somehow I don't quite believe them. Or that they apply to ME. I wave away the suggestion as though it's a nuisance insect, making excuses like I don't have time at the moment.

But really, even if I don't have time, why don't I make time for myself?

There's a good analogy someone told me: if you're in a plane crash, you secure your oxygen mask first, because if you're passed out unconscious on the floor, how can you help anyone else?

In a way, not taking care of yourself first is selfish. Ha.

So as I was drinking my teeth-rotting, butt-expanding pop I had one of those enough is enough dammit moments. I grabbed a notebook and started a list of the things I would do for myself over the next few months.


Action! Starting tomorrow. Or next week.

* "Self-love" as in looking after one's health and general wellness. Not any other kind of self-love. Not like the kinds produced when I typed "self love" into Google. Uhhh.
Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

22 comments:

Blahbitty Blahbitty Blahbitty Blah! said...

Amen sista!
Have you been reading my mind? This is essential and as moms, we often overlook our own importance. And, what's even worse...mother-in-law types EXPECT us to! (Insert hate word for MIL types) B%^$^*#S!!!!!!

Loukia said...

I was reading the list on the left, and I was like OH YES!!!!!!! HOW AWESOME! But the 'realistic' list is also great. Good luck to you! Do these things!!! It is very important to take care of ourselves! We have to!

Mwa said...

You are absolutely right! I hope you start today. Maybe just with one of the things. Babysteps, right?

(I'm trying to imagine the results for self-love. Hihi. I think it's probably funnier imagining than actually finding out, though.)

Erin @ Closing Time said...

This is the perfect post for me today (as I sit here at nearly noon, still in my pajamas after cleaning the house all morning, feeling rather run down). Maybe this afternoon, I can find some time for me. :)

Karen said...

Yeah! And I love both of your columns of things to do for yourself and hopefully you can do some of each! This IS from a mother-in-law who never got to do much self care as a young mother and who applauds it in all those who are young mothers now!

James (SeattleDad) said...

Great point. And if you are a giver by nature (me), you easily put your own needs well below those of your expanding family. It is good to be reminded, since I myself have trouble remembering to take care of myself.

I like your writing LM.

Juli Ryan said...

There must be something in the air! I'm off to the hairdressers today for the very same fix. And stealing hours on the weekend when my husband is home and yes, running. But SEVEN cups of cofffee? Really?

Opus #6 said...

I agree. Sometimes we run out of steam. Your suggestions are excellent.

Happy VGNO.

robin said...

Start today! :)
Happy GNO!

the Chacogirl said...

Happy VGNO! I think its great for us moms to take batter care of ourselves (didn't want to use the word self-love, for obvious reasons). I always feel so much better after a long shower a manicure and some chocolate!

I am Harriet said...

What a wonderful post!

Have a great VGNO!!
http://iamharriet.blogspot.com/2009/07/its-time-to-dream-on-vgno.html

Lola said...

Stopping by for VGNO! Hope you have a great weekend.

http://lolasdiner.blogspot.com
http://firecrotchrocket.blogspot.com
http://victorygarden.blogspot.com

Gena said...

We are so hard on ourselves, but if we don't do it, noone will.

Happy VGNO

Shop with Me Mama said...

Yes, take care of ourselves! I need to do that for me desperately! Sigh! Happy VGNO :)

..... Carmen said...

I think your list is fantastic! I'll harass you every now and again to see how you're doing :) This will be GREAT for you! (I am all about taking time for yourself.... I am a believer it makes one a better Mom & wife)... at least I know it does for me (which is why Nate is so accomodating with my "self love" requests).

Midwest Mommy said...

Good for you! I ran for the first time two nights ago. My body is so sore but instead of quitting it shows me I need it!

Lady Mama said...

Julia Ryan - No of course I don't have seven cups of coffee per day. That would be crazy. I actually have fifteen.

Erin - hope you manage to get some time for yourself too.

Carmen - yep I could probably use a gentle reminder now and then.

Momma Sunshine said...

Really, it's all too easy for us moms to put OURSELVES at the bottom of the list. We've been made to believe (by the media? society at large? I dunno) that it's "selfless" to put ourselves last. I think that line of thinking is crap - I KNOW that I can take much better care of everyone else when I'm taking better care of me! :-D

Good for you for making such an important decision!

Carolee / Home4ever said...

I agree- let's us ladies do something for ourselves for once!

Happy Late VGNO!

carma said...

Cutting back to just seven cups- why such drastic measures? ;-)

Stopping by to say hi and welcome to SITS. I know that you will enjoy being a part of this vibrant community of bloggers!
carma :-)

greedygrace said...

Great post! But I had to LOL about the self love part. That's the first thing I thought of!



I came by to welcome you to SITS! We're happy to have you with us!

Penelope said...

Welcome to SITS! This post is funneee! and I totally agree with it.

~Penelope