Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Mummy Signing

I was perusing the baby signing books at the bookstore yesterday, since we've decided to take a shot at it. As I studied the illustrations of mums and babies signing with their hands, gesturing words like "milk", "thank you", "please", something occurred to me. These signs are great, but wouldn't it be even more great if we could slip in a few special signs for us mummies too?

So, taking matters into my own hands, I've developed a few new signs, specifically with the tired, hard-working mummy in mind.

(sorry about the creepy drawings, this is about the extent of my artistic talent.)




And as a special treat, if you have another idea for a mummy sign, let me know and I might attempt to draw it too.
Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

11 comments:

Loukia said...

OMG LOVE IT! I see a book beign published in your future very soon! Totally hilarious.

..... Carmen said...

I have a book on baby signing if you'd like it... I belive it is actually "Baby Signing for Dummies" lol. Grace still signs please despite that she says it at the same time :) As for your Mommy signs - I was thinking at first you were going to have secret signs for one mommy to another - lol. How about you come up with a sign that says "Ok seriously, you need to give Mommy a break or I might have a nervous breakdown" :) Can you do a drawing for that? lol

Momma Sunshine said...

LOVE IT. The one with the coffee cup is my fave, naturally. ;)

Deanna said...

Great! My son knew some signs when he was unable to talk. Now that he's two, he has abandoned them completely. I wish I had these Mummy signs to use back then!

Lisa said...

Hahahaha! I like the Santa one the best (I use him to pin stuff on all the time. He's the best scape goat ever). I was at a girl's weekend not long ago and since we sign w/ our youngest I was showing the other mums some popular signs. After a few drinks, the lesson took a turn and we ended up trying to top one another with the most disgusting, rude signs we could think of.

Mwa said...

Very good. How about one that says "Mummy's on the computer - play quietly now"?

Metropolitan Mum said...

HAHAHAHA. I LOVE it. Your illustrations are great.

Kate Coveny Hood said...

How about a sign that you can do in the car without actually turning around to look at the kids: If you hit/pinch/touch/look at him/her one more time there will be hell to pay when we get home." Maybe a little too complex. I have resisted giving them the finger on many an ocassion when "NO!" was the response I got to a request for peace. (And I don't even give people the finger...)

James (SeattleDad) said...

That is actually good artistic talent. You could always draw 'Mummy says 'Talk to the Hand'

McMommy said...

This is hilarious!!
And I can't lie...I thought that last sign was Mommy's OTHER finger telling the kids "Too bad. Go make it yourself!!"
hahahaha!!!!!!!

Michele said...

I LOVE the pictures! The extent of your artistic talent is pretty good!

We used the Signing Time videos with our daughter. Our whole family learned quickly and easily from them. Six years later our daughter still remembers most of the signs and has done so to me when I'm on the phone and she needs something. (It beats her shouting at me, I guess...)