Sunday, August 9, 2009

No really, he's just not that into you.

I watched the first half of He's Just Not That Into You, undecided as to whether I wanted to throw my arms around Gigi, the main character, and tell her everything would be okay, or slap her in the face in the hopes she'd come to her senses. For those that haven't seen the movie, it's about men and women who misinterpret each other's intentions, and basically go around moaning and groaning that so and so doesn't want what I want and he/she doesn't understand me. Blah blah.

Gigi is a woman desperately seeking love. After each first date, she becomes obsessed with whether her date is, in fact, going to call her, and basically continues to make a complete prat of herself by harassing him until he figures out that she's a nutjob and cuts her off. All the while she fails to realize the simple rule if he likes you he will call. If he doesn't, he won't.

I remember first hearing the line maybe he's just not that into you on Sex In The City. The look on Miranda's face shifted from disbelief and then relief. It was as if a major revelation had been made.

But anyway, back to Gigi. She was really beginning to irritate me. I mean, it's one thing to wonder if your date will call you the next day. But conducting a stare-down with the phone for wasteful hours in the hope it'll ring? Obsessing over last words, in case they really meant I want to spend the rest of my life with you, rather than just it was nice to meet you?

COME ON!

I told J I was getting irritated with Gigi, but he was more concerned with the fact that Scarlett Johansson kept ripping off her clothes and leaping around in swimming pools and things. Off topic but, em, what gives with her figure? Who has that kind of skinniness with big boobs? It's not right. Bitch. (Sorry Scarlett I heart you really.)

Anyway, I kept thinking, no way does an attractive, intelligent woman like Gigi, with a career, an apartment, a life, act so bloody nuts over a man with whom she's been on one date, just because there's a slither of a chance he might be THE ONE.

Is it just me?

I mean, I admit, back when I was dating, ages ago, ten years ago, I observed the usual dating rituals: I shared juicy snippets from last night's date with a friend over coffee; I checked my phone and email frequently for messages; I wondered; I waited; I enjoyed the anticipation and the excitement. Etc. All that stuff. Sure.

But, I like to think that if a guy didn't call me, I'd have enough self respect to say, okay time to move on and not wallow in sadness over someone who doesn't want me.

So to sum up: A simple thing is a simple thing; Gigi needs a slap; Scarlett Johansson should stop prancing around in her underwear because she's making me look bad.
Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

9 comments:

Loukia said...

I still have not seen this movie, and people either love it or hate it... I think it's just a fun girly movie! I want to see it... just for fun. And be thankful I'm not in that situation anymore - God, how stressful... I do tend to make a big deal out things, so I'd probably be closer to Gigi then the other characters, even though I'm not sure what roles everyone else plays in the movie.

LZ @ My Messy Paradise said...

I never saw the movie or read the book, or really was into Sex and the city, but this line truly sums it up. When we stress over a guy who isn't treating us well, or returning the effort, we know the answer. I just want to shake some of my friends who are dating and tattoo this motto on them visably! Like Loukia - I'm glad I'm not in this situation, but would have eventually appreciated a good friend telling me this...not working through the possible reasons why he hasn't returned my call, or why he seems to be acting like a d-bag!

..... Carmen said...

All I got to say, is if you see a skinny woman with big breasts (they aren't real!!!). And I would know. I used to have the big breasts, and a big middle came with them. They disappeared and so did the larger figure. Big boobs need extra weight to support them - that's my theory. Everyone else has been cosmetically adjusted. So you have no fear about Scarlett - she's a fake, that's my two cents. Much better to be real than fake.

ModernMom said...

Hee hee
It's been to long for me to remember. ...but I don't think any man is worth wasting away for.

Maria @BOREDmommy said...

I agree with you - she totally aggravated me. In fact it was one of the main reasons I really didn't like that movie. She was too pathetic to be the main character. As for Scarlett and her bubbies - yup they are LARGE.

Metropolitan Mum said...

Well, Lady Mama. I know a few girls who are just like Gigi. Smart, clever, well educated. And beyond 30. It is as if their biological clock just started ticking so loud that all straight thinking goes out of the window. And guess who the friend is that has to analyse all that's been said (or not)...

As for Scarlett: I don't think she's a fake. She is genetically privileged, that's all. Bitch. ;-)

PS: Excellent post!

Theta Mom said...

I'm with you, she was a little annoying. Especially for not getting the hint countless and countless times. The kicker is, she was a well educated, attractive woman, just hooked on a guy who could care less. Lesson? He's just not that into you!!!

Karen said...

Unfortunately it is a syndrome in many women to make a big deal out of every date - many women who are in their fifties are doing the same thing. I read an excellent book entitled "Why men love bitches" - it was about women loving their own lives enough that a man added was just icing on the cake - not the whole cake - a good read for women who are helping other friends through singleton years. But, on reflection, perhaps a good read for women who are too caught up in their husband's lives to the neglect of their own. Our lives are not "add-ons" - they are the whole enchilada!

Michele said...

I found Gigi to be very annoying and unbelievable as a character. Of course, I was also irritated by how skinny Jennifer Aniston, Scarlett Johannsen, and Jennifer Connelly are...what do they do, not eat?!?!? Bitches. ;-)