Monday, August 17, 2009

Sylvia... Yes Mickey? How do you sing your baby to sleep?

The night we met I knew I needed you so
And if I had the chance I'd never let you go

(slap, slap, wallop, slap)

So won't you say you love me
I'll make you so proud of me


(slap, scratch, slap)

We'll make 'em turn their heads Every place we go

(snore, snore)

The current bedtime routine: I sing the songs, rocking back and forth; Oliver tries to stop me from singing the songs by walloping me with his sleepy, clumsy hand or grabbing my mouth and wrenching it away from my face; I persist with the lyrics; eventually he relents and falls asleep.

When I saw you walking down the street
I said that's the kind of baby I'd like to meet ...

I think the Dirty Dancing songs started when I was scrambling for something other than Hush Little Baby, or Twinkle Twinkle, which, after fifty times in one evening are, to say the least, monotonous. Like, please someone put me out of my misery now, monotonous. You've probably been there, done that, too.

With Matthew it was Edelweiss from The Sound of Music.

Edelweiss, Edelweiss
Every morning you greet me

Small and bright
Clean and white

You look happy to meet me


And a few nights ago, when he woke from his sleep crying, I attempted to reintroduce the song, but he was having none of it. He actually told me "no!" angrily. Okay then. No more Edelweiss.

Then, for some reason, when I had Oliver, I replaced regular lullabies with anything that came to mind.

In the still of the night I held you,
held you tight
'Cause I love, love you so
Promise I'll never let you go


It might have been because I was so weary from the all-too-recent nights of endless lullaby singing for Matthew. Or the second-time mum confidence that inspired me to throw out traditions and do things my way. Or maybe it's simply that the Dirty Dancing lyrics were inscribed on my school girl brain twenty years ago and never faded.

Baby, oh baby, my sweet baby, you're the one
Baby, oh baby, my sweet baby, you're the one

Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

9 comments:

Kate Coveny Hood said...

So much better than the standard lullabies.

Loukia said...

The second I read the title of this post I started singing this song in my head! Aweseome! How can you not love Dirty Dancing... sigh! How sweet and cute that you sing this to your baby... awww... love it!

James (SeattleDad) said...

yeah, Dirty Dancing always put me to sleep too. Lol! Nice post.

Chic Mama said...

Awww- what a song!
My baby hates me singing to him, he's learnt the word, "ssh" Yet all the others loved it. Strange.

Mwa said...

Great songs for lullabies - may try them over here, too.

Anonymous said...

I used to sing this to the kids, it's short and sweet.
"This day is done,
It's gone with the sun.
So sleep, you're tired.
Sweet dreams, good night."

No idea where I got it from but most likely some kids show.

..... Carmen said...

Your posts make me smile :) I frequently make up songs for Grace as I'm always forgetful of the lyrics. I feel bad for her when she gets to school and sings everything incorrectly. She does request "You are my Sunshine" though when she's upset - a song I have sung to her since she was in utero.

Eva Gallant said...

Hey, whatever works; I remeber singing Elvis's "are you lonesome tonight"

just stopping by fro SITS to say hi; hope you'll do the same.

Brian Miller said...

and one day they will start humming a tune many years from now and wonder where that came from...

too cute.