Wednesday, September 16, 2009

British treats how I miss thee...

Every so often I get an insatiable craving for something I can't access in this part of the world - some food that's reminiscent of England. Usually the food in question can be found in a little shop thousands of miles away, across a few countries and an ocean. So the craving remains a craving.

If I had one of those teleportation machine thingies (note technical terminology) that could take me to London in a few seconds and bring me back again, I'd load up with the following items.

Brannigans Roast Beef and Mustard crisps.
Best. Chips. Ever. They're thick, crunchy and a bit spicy. Seriously, there's nothing like these. And excellent with beer.


Pret A Manger Brie, tomato and basil baguette. I'm not sure they even still make this but oh! On the occasion I gave up caring about calories, this was the yummiest lunch time treat.

Monster Munch - Pickled Onion Flavour. Okay, I'll admit this is a bit immature - it's the kind of snack that fades from most people's taste buds when they grow up. Not me - I still love the extreme pickly flavour.

Marmite. Like the tag line says - you either love it or hate it. Very true.


Nougat. Chewy goodness in a pink packet.

Sherbert Fountain. A liquorish straw with which to suck up the sherbet. Yup.



Milky Bar. The Milky Bar kid is strong and tough, and only the best is good enough.
Cherry Bakewells. I have a sweet tooth. These tarts are like little moist almond cakes. I remember coming home from school and immediately going to the cupboard for one. It was a ritual.


Fish & Chips wrapped in paper. Yes, the fish and chips MUST be wrapped in paper to be authentic. To be enjoyed on a leisurely stroll home after the pub.


Twiglets. Kind of marmite-ish crunchy twiggy things.


Okay I'm done now, thank you for listening.

Starving now.
Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

12 comments:

LZ @ My Messy Paradise said...

I;m sitting here in my sister in law's house, starving for junk food. and then I read this. Thanks for that...I really doubt a banana is going to do the trick now!
Was Wispa also a British chocolate bar? I loooove that...

Mwa said...

Mmmm. Except for the Marmite. Urgh.

I love to have some British curry. It's never the same in another country.

When we were in Corfu, I thought it was funny that the English shops there had fish and chips "in real English newspaper".

Chic Mama said...

Hehe.....we have a fair few of those in our larder. I love twiglets and marmite and just couldn't eat any other flavour monster munch.
My son is partial to a cherry bakewell or two.
You should do a post on what you DON'T miss about England. I would be really interested to hear about it. :0)

wherewiller said...

Out of these, I REALLY miss good haddock and chips. I mean, the fairly nasty Chinese up the road from our house in NW London did great fish and chips. Here, we haven't found good haddock easily. Only halibut in the fish & chip shops.

Very Bored Housewife said...

Oooh twiglets and pickled onion monster munch. So with you there.

James (SeattleDad) said...

Roast beef and mustard crisps. Sounds awful, yet delicious at the same time. Almost lunch time here...

Maternal Tales said...

Oh honey - we have at least 5 of those in our cupboard right at this second...if only you could come and visit!! And we had fish and chips for supper last night...seriously! Think I might just go and open a packet of pickled onion monster munch...or shall I have marmite on toast?? Hmmm.... Will think of you while I'm eating... ;-)) xxx

Metropolitan Mum said...

Lady Mama, you know I adore your blog, your writing, your style... but WHAT is WRONG with your tastebuds? Half of the products I have never ever heard of, the other half is just yuck, yuck, yuck.

Lady Mama said...

LZ - hope you managed to get a decent snack!

Mwa - Mmmm curry.

Chic Mama - I'll have a think..

wherewiller - where abouts in NW London did you live?

Very Bored Housewife - I'm hungry just thinking about them.

James - they do sound awful and they are delicious!

Maternal Tales - I WISH I could pop over for a visit. Maybe next time I'm in the UK!

Metropolitan Mum - There's nothing wrong with my taste buds! I just have an extremely "eclectic" sense of taste. Haha.

..... Carmen said...

I can help you out a bit. BEST Fish & Chips in Calgary is Pelican Pier on 14th Street. A bit of a drive for you, but well worth it. Nate and I take Grace there with us at least once a month. Delish.

There is also a British Store in Market Mall that may sell some of your goodies :)

Just in case you needed an enabler ;)

Maria @BOREDmommy said...

I would eat the fish & chips - yum. I'm not adventurous enough to try the others, especially the marmite.

Amy B. said...

For me it's the Haribo Star Mix and Tangfastic, and Walker's Thai Sweet Chili crisps.

I would probably rather stick bamboo shoots under my nails than ever taste Twiglets again, though.