Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The compliment that made my day

After the whole ripped jeans debacle, I'd been feeling an underlying frustration about the last few stubborn pounds I've yet to loose. Ten, roughly. Ten or so pounds will bring me back to the weight I was before I had my first son, almost two and a half years ago. The weight I was when I felt slim and sexy and could try something on in a store and look good.

Amazing how just ten extra pounds can feel.

Until a few weeks ago I was in a great routine of running - three or four times a week, and I could feel the weight shifting. And then, for some reason, I lost my enthusiasm for it. Instead of scraping together the last bit of energy left in my tired body and getting out onto the running path, I've been giving into my exhaustion and taking refuge in the sofa for the evening.

Which inevitably leads to feeling crapper and crapper.

And then last weekend I was shopping in Costco, alone, rushing through the aisles like a woman on a mission with my groceries, toys, baby sleepers and other miscellaneous things, when someone stopped me in my tracks.

"Hi Sarah!"

It took me a moment to recognize the woman from my pre-natal class (from my first pregnancy).

"Oh hi!" I said, genuinely pleased to see her. "How are you?"

"Oh, fine." She said. "Tired, from work." She's a doctor in an ER. "How are you?"

"I'm well, thanks. Just snuck out of the house to do some shopping alone."

"You look great." She said, eyeing me up and down. "Um, didn't you have another baby earlier this year?"

"Yes!" I said, beaming.

"Wow. You look great."

Seriously, my day could not have been any more made.

As I pushed my cart with its random contents back to the car, I reminded myself that I've already come a long way in my effort to loose the baby weight, and that the rest WILL come off in time.

Now to get myself back out there for a run tonight...
Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

12 comments:

LZ @ My Messy Paradise said...

That's great! It would have made my day, too.
I was still getting asked when I was due months after #2 was born. Not great.

Chandra said...

It's funny that one little compliment can turn your day around! Don't give up on the running, if anyone has an excuse to stop it's you...with the baby and all...but it is soooo worth it in the end! Nothing will make the pounds drop off so quickly as running!

Chic Mama said...

How lovely, nothing better than getting a compliment is there? I think we are all too hard on ourselves.

Insomniac Mummy said...

Nothing like a good compliment to keep you on track.

I need to start working on the baby weight. Seem to have lost my bearings somewhat.

:)

Mwa said...

I love a good compliment.

I have kind of given up on getting my pre-baby shape back though. My hands and feet have grown, and my hips are wider than they were. Oh, and my boobs are bigger. I'm only slightly heavier, but I've just had to accept my woman's body. That girl's body I used to have is a thing of the past now, and I'm okay with that.

That Girl39 said...

Well done you! Its amazing the boost you get when someone pays you a compliment like that out of the blue. Remember it for when you have those feeling crap days! And you're right.. ten pounds does make all the difference to how you feel when shopping and trying on. (Im now off to run up and down the stairs 35 times!)

Hot Cross Mum said...

It's SO tough losing the baby poundage and well done for even considering going out running. I fool myself into thinking I rush about enough after the boys to prevent me having to go to the gym. Who am I kidding. My belly certainly doesn't agree. Booo :-(

Kate Coveny Hood said...

You have to remember this every time you look in the mirror and size that extra dress size (what 10 lbs. approximately translates to in clothes).

I always loved compliments that that!

James (SeattleDad) said...

Always great to hear such things. And to realize that you look better than you probably think.

Karen @ If I Could Escape . . . said...

That's great! I have had that 10 -15 pounds to lose for three years now! Aaargh!

Anyway, I've left you something on my blog!!!

Canadian Bald Guy said...

I think we're always harder on ourselves than we need to be. Ten pounds may seem like a lot, but really...is it that big of a deal?

I'm sure you look great. But if you're still looking to lose those final 10 pounds, I wish you the best of luck. Do whatever makes you happiest.

Maria @BOREDmommy said...

You are super gorgeous - its no surprise your friend noticed too!!