Friday, September 25, 2009

Everyone can be bought

These days I'll do ANYTHING for a few moments of peace and quiet: plying the kids with sugar and plastic toys, giving in to ludicrous requests, over indulging, bribery, blackmail. Like I said - anything. Call me a bad parent, whatever, I'm too tired to care. Just please let me hide in a closet for thirty minutes.

For instance.

Whenever we get back home from an outing, Matthew refuses to come into the house - he wants to stay in the car so that he can press all the buttons and switches on the dashboard and sit in the driver's seat. At first I was all, no dude, you're messing up the car. But then followed the wailing. And then I conceded.

Okay. Good. Whatever.

When it's time to leave the park, I tell Matthew he can watch a movie, if he comes right now. If he still refuses - as he often does, I extend the promise to include a movie.. a cake.. some milk.. and a new pack of stickers (I have supplies). Finally he caves at the thought of all the goodies awaiting him back at home. "Taysties." He says, dreamily.

Okay. Great. Done.

When Oliver wakes up crying at 3 a.m., I relent with cuddles in the rocking chair and a bottle of milk.

Okay. Yay. Yawn.

J and I are easy: we surrender to the same bribe. If either of us has had a bad day or week, if we're tired or grumpy, there's one thing that's always a perk: The words "Why don't you go out and buy yourself something nice?" The materialistic goodness never fails to work its magic on us good consumer types.

Okay. Now we're talking. Yes oh yes.
Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

7 comments:

Perfectly Happy Mum said...

Oh yeah, now we are really talking! :)

Chic Mama said...

Yep...know that one lol. We all like bargaining. Unfortunately my older children now think they can get away with charging me for every little job I ask them to do. Cheeky things!!!

Metropolitan Mum said...

Like some wise woman once said: '...possessions do in fact make me happy...' I guess you are only practicing what you preach. It's called consistent parenting. Well done!

Elisa, The Unlikely Housewife said...

I could have signed this. I really know what you mean! I am not above bribing in exchange for peace. Not all the time, but sometimes you need it.

LZ @ My Messy Paradise said...

Ah, buying yourself something nice is a time-tested strategy, but is it the new 'thing' or the time alone when buying it that is so good? I say the latter. If I run out to the store alone for cold medicine, I'm happy.
I recently had no objection at all to my husband buying an xbox. He doesn't play until the girls are asleep, and by then, I need to be alone. I'll take time alone any way I can get it!

Kate Coveny Hood said...

I don't know how many times I've given my children cookies to make them get into the car to go to daycare... Now that I'm at home with them, very little has changed. Bribes usually take the form of snack food, but I've also had weak moments with overpriced Thomas Trains.

Maria @BOREDmommy said...

"Why don't you go out and buy yourself something nice?"

Music to my ears.