Every year, as soon as September arrives, I begin thinking about fall clothes. I'm not usually one to invest lots of time or money in fashion, but something about fall has me faithfully sitting with a pumpkin spice latte in one hand and a notepad in the other, jotting down a very long and very unrealistic list of all the essential fall clothing items I will need for fall.
This year I've shortened my list down to five things I MUST HAVE.
1. Something furry. I have to admit, I have a thing for fur. Not real. And this year, it appears furry things are in all the stores. I'm in love with this fur vest by Mk2k, seen in September's issue of Marie Claire ($225). Yes I am. In love.
And H & M has this lovely soft cozy one for about $60.
2. A really good wool coat. There's nothing quite like the feeling of slipping on a really good, really well fitting winter coat. Instant stylishness.
This Escada wool coat is a teeny bit too expensive at almost $2000. But ooohhh aaahhhh. Look at the colour! So pretty.
For something equally stylish and less expensive, I always find Zara has a good selection of winter coats.
3. Flat Riding Boots. I don't know one woman who doesn't love boots. And I live in Calgary, which means that in about two months the streets will be slushy, slippery and generally disgusting. Not appropriate for any kind of heel. Not even half an inch of heel. So, I'm looking for a pair of flat riding boots. Stylish and practical.
These Ralph Lauren riding boots are lovely, but about $1000 more pennies than my purse has to offer.
These dressage riding boots from Urban Outfitters are under $200. Better.
4. Red Lipstick. I hardly ever wear lipstick - red or otherwise. I'm more of a lip gloss girl. But this fall I feel a red lipstick urge coming on. Ever get that?
I like this one: Nars Flame (Limited Edition from Sephora).
5. Long sleeved dress. A good dress is like the best wardrobe secret you'll ever discover. If you find a dress that fits you well and flatters your figure, you'll be so glad you spent the money.
I love the cut of this wrap dress from Banana Republic. Costs about $100. Not bad.
I also love this jersey turtleneck dress from Old Navy. And I love the price even more - only about $30.
There. Off you go. Shop. If you need any encouragement, just ask me along. I can persuade anyone they need to buy anything.
Images from marieclaire.com, urbanoutfitters.com, sephora.com, instyle.com, bananarepublic.gap.com, oldnavy.gap.com
Just to clarify, in case anyone has the absurd idea that anyone would pay me to talk about fashion: NO. All of the above are my completely free expert (cough) opinions.
I think all the prices noted here are USD, in case you were wondering.