Sunday, September 6, 2009

Five Fashiony Things For Fall

Every year, as soon as September arrives, I begin thinking about fall clothes. I'm not usually one to invest lots of time or money in fashion, but something about fall has me faithfully sitting with a pumpkin spice latte in one hand and a notepad in the other, jotting down a very long and very unrealistic list of all the essential fall clothing items I will need for fall.

This year I've shortened my list down to five things I MUST HAVE.

1. Something furry. I have to admit, I have a thing for fur. Not real. And this year, it appears furry things are in all the stores. I'm in love with this fur vest by Mk2k, seen in September's issue of Marie Claire ($225). Yes I am. In love.


And H & M has this lovely soft cozy one for about $60.


2. A really good wool coat. There's nothing quite like the feeling of slipping on a really good, really well fitting winter coat. Instant stylishness.

This Escada wool coat is a teeny bit too expensive at almost $2000. But ooohhh aaahhhh. Look at the colour! So pretty.

For something equally stylish and less expensive, I always find Zara has a good selection of winter coats.

3. Flat Riding Boots. I don't know one woman who doesn't love boots. And I live in Calgary, which means that in about two months the streets will be slushy, slippery and generally disgusting. Not appropriate for any kind of heel. Not even half an inch of heel. So, I'm looking for a pair of flat riding boots. Stylish and practical.

These Ralph Lauren riding boots are lovely, but about $1000 more pennies than my purse has to offer.


These dressage riding boots from Urban Outfitters are under $200. Better.


4. Red Lipstick. I hardly ever wear lipstick - red or otherwise. I'm more of a lip gloss girl. But this fall I feel a red lipstick urge coming on. Ever get that?

I like this one: Nars Flame (Limited Edition from Sephora).


5. Long sleeved dress. A good dress is like the best wardrobe secret you'll ever discover. If you find a dress that fits you well and flatters your figure, you'll be so glad you spent the money.

I love the cut of this wrap dress from Banana Republic. Costs about $100. Not bad.

I also love this jersey turtleneck dress from Old Navy. And I love the price even more - only about $30.


There. Off you go. Shop. If you need any encouragement, just ask me along. I can persuade anyone they need to buy anything.

Images from marieclaire.com, urbanoutfitters.com, sephora.com, instyle.com, bananarepublic.gap.com, oldnavy.gap.com

Just to clarify, in case anyone has the absurd idea that anyone would pay me to talk about fashion: NO. All of the above are my completely free expert (cough) opinions.

I think all the prices noted here are USD, in case you were wondering.

Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

11 comments:

Maria @BOREDmommy said...

THank you Ms. Fashionista! Love that first vest too, although I think it would probably look ridiculous on me. You on the other hand, would look fab in it I'm sure.

Hot Cross Mum said...

What an entirely fabulous collection you've put together. I want them all, immediately - especially THAT coat - oh la laaa. Accessories next please!

rheanne said...

Love that coat and the boots. Almost makes me feel homesick for a cold climate (almost...but not quite...glad that living in Bermuda means no slush or cold winds to worry about)

Nick the neighbour said...

I too love fall fashion! I almost long for cooler weather so I can wear sweaters and tights. But then I want it to stop there and hold-crisp cool mornings, warmy sunny fall days. no snow. Alas I live in Calgary.

Good selections!

LZ @ My Messy Paradise said...

I have decided that this is my year to be more stylish! I love the Old Navy dress...so cute and comfy looking. I tried a furry vest a couple years ago, and loved it. I bought it, and never wore it. I'm not easy to break from my comfort zone - perhaps this will inspire me!

Mwa said...

I have this unexplainable desire to go out and get myself a denim dress and woolly tights. I have no idea why. So far, I have been able to resist.

Like your fashion tips!

Kate Coveny Hood said...

I have a thing for coats. My collection of wool coats makes cold weather bearable. Love that BR wrap dress too!

..... Carmen said...

I bought myself a wool coat from United Colours of Benetton two years ago that is the wildest colour of green (kind of like a granny smith apple. I LOVE it and it was one of my best purchases I've ever made. Boots? I've been searching for a pair of boots that fit well and that I love for 2 years now. Still no luck. I thought I had a pair last year but the calves were too big :(

James (SeattleDad) said...

I love fashion too. I am looking for a new long sleeve t-shirt for fall - without food stains on the shoulder.

I have to admit that fur vest looked cool.

Theta Mom said...

Awesome picks! Yes, something furry is always a must as well as the boots. Love H & M! They have such cute kids clothes, too. :)

Chandra said...

Love the coat! Mostly LOVE the Old Navy dress, right in my price range but hate the thought of actually putting on the dress. I would buy it just so it could hang in my closet and look pretty. ;)