Thursday, October 22, 2009

Glad we're on the same page.

Last night I peered around the bathroom wall in between brushes, to casually ask J a question through a mouthful of toothpaste.

"We've been married six years, right?"

"Um.... yeah...." J said, not at all convincingly.

For a moment we stared at each other quizzically. The truth is neither of us can remember how many years we've been married. Because in between then and now there have been many moves, a house purchase, a new country, new jobs, new friends, renovations, a dog and two babies. That's a bloody lot of adventures in six, five or seven years or whatever it is.

"I can't believe you don't remember!" I said accusingly.

"Oh sure. Like you remembered." He said, eyebrow raised.

"Obviously I know how long we've been married. I was just confirming."

He snickered at my pathetic attempt to gain higher ground.

Some people are super organized and write important dates in their diary at the beginning of the year. Me? Not only do I not have important dates written in my diary, I don't have a diary. I ditched it.

Okay I lost it.

There were too many - paper diaries and online diaries - and in the end it all became a jumbled mess of confusion. So I ditched/lost them. Now I go by what's in my brain and therefore I have no clue what day it even is.

Oh oh - good opportunity to apologize for missed events! Here goes: I'm sorry to those friends, grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins who's birthdays I've missed. I'm sorry If I forgot your kids' birthdays too. And if I forgot your wedding anniversaries, but really who remembers those anyway? And I'm sorry, Mr dentist, if I've made appointments with your nice receptionist and not turned up. But actually I don't really like you and your tools of torture very much anyway... But still, I suck.

Plus I'm quite tired. You know, from not sleeping more than three hours at a time for NINE MONTHS. That's a pretty good reason to be forgetful/unorganized, right?

But thankfully J and I are equally bad at this remembering important dates thing, so neither one can blame the other when we forget.

Even if it is the number of years we've been married.

Interesting fact to end post:
Six years is iron. IRON. What kind of rubbish is this? What - six years is not long enough to warrant something as good as diamonds or emeralds? Imagine: Thanks honey for this iron griddle, it's just what I've been wanting! Bah.



Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

8 comments:

Midwest Mommy said...

I am horrible with dates. Horrible. You made me just sit here and try and remember what year I actually got married, lol. It was 2004, maybe?

James (SeattleDad) said...

Wait until you get to 10 years. You'll get tin foil as a gift, like Mrs. LIAYF.

Lil said...

I too would forget what day it was if I did not have my little calender,actually I have a watch that tells me what day it is. I am also really bad at remembering dates, I blame it on lack of sleep.

Jules said...

You're not alone. I have an appt calendar, email birthday reminder service, etc. They are all my lifelines.

Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) said...

I have a hard time remembering dates, too...I ditched the paper calendars for noting things on my computer, but then when my computer crashed a few years ago, all was lost so I've been lost ever since.

:)

Sparkless said...

Wait till you get up there in age and can't remember how old you are! At least I can still remember when my birthday is but now I have to calculate my age.

LZ @ My Messy Paradise said...

ha! Same here...We were just talking about our anniversary, and said we should take a trip for our 5th...Next month it will be 7 years. I guess once you have have kids, things like birthdays and anniversaries don't mean as much...

Elaine A. said...

Our 10 year is week after next and it better be diamonds, that's all I gotta say! ; )

I probably need to post about missing all kinds of birthdays too. There's just too much to keep up with...