Sunday, October 25, 2009

The office that love forgot

When we renovated our basement last year, we added several extra rooms downstairs - a playroom, a laundry room, a utility room, a guest room, a bathroom and an office.

An office designated to be my office.

Because next year - in two months (um what?), in January (eh?), I'm going to (gawd) start working (crap) from home (wheeze), in this office.

The problem? Over the past nine months, this "future" office - that had no foreseeable prospect of actually becoming an office - became a poor, unloved dumping zone for junk with no other home.

- Gift bags that I hoard like an old lady with cats.
- Random craft materials I buy in the hopes of becoming crafty but which never even see a stick of glue.
- Paperwork that really belongs in the filing cabinet that's currently located in a wardrobe in my son's bedroom and that no one can get into.
- Holiday decorations, wrapping and ribbons.
- Christmas presents that are yet to find a secret hiding place.
- General crap with no name or identity.

This office. You see? This one?

So, yeah.

This is my desk. Where all the, em, brilliant creative stuff is going to happen.


See the problem?


You'd think, with two kids under the age of three, and all the constant laundry, cleaning, tidying and organizing I'm faced with on an ordinary day, I'd be undeterred by a bit of clutter. Nope. The office - I can't face it. It's been too long. And there's too much crap. So I'm considering the alternatives:
a) demolish office and dig out pit for swimming pool.
b) lock door of office and pretend it's like a room in Wuthering Heights. And tell kids it's haunted for dramatic effect.
c) continue to use room as dumping ground and run business from laptop on sofa.

Of course I'm kidding. Hahaha. Haha. Ha. Kind of.

My real plan (that I just made up five minutes ago) involves transforming this pig shack into a beautiful, serene work space where I can go and sit and be inspired.

In a few months I shall unveil an amazing transformation. That will look something like this.


Or this. (Replace golden retriever with Australian Shepherd)


Or this lemony mellow place of happiness.


(Images from www.theestateofthings.com)

Or, swimming pool...? It's tempting.


Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

10 comments:

Mammatalk said...

Oh, Lady mama! I would kill for that kind of space. I just may come over and steal that room from you.
:+)

Although, I have to admit, my whole house looked like that last year when I had two under three. It'll ease up. I promise.

Chic Mama said...

Thats nothing compared to my study...trouble with having extra unused rooms...they become dumping grounds. I can't face it....;0) Good luck, sounds as though you have exciting things ahead.

Mwa said...

I have a study/dumping ground. It's too depressing.

Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) said...

I would love to have a space like that! Well, I sorta do, the guest room is my 'dumping ground'... But I mean an actual office space. Maybe in my next house. Though a pool would be nice, too...

Looking forward to seeing the transformation pics! Isn't it funny how when the clutter gets to a certain level it's hard to figure out where to actually start to clear it out? That's something I'm trying to figure out - where to start. :)

James (SeattleDad) said...

It's why I am killing myself on our basement remodel. I need a new dumping ground. LOL.

Pics required when you are finished. Good luck.

Pollyanna said...

Popping in from SITS!

That looks like my office too. It's on the main floor so we put double doors on the room so I could leave them open and make our house look bigger. Ask me how often both doors have been open? I'm not sure, but I know it's got to be less than the number of fingers I have on my left hand - and we've lived in the house more than two years!

Oh, I suppose I could have said right hand. I have the same number of fingers on each hand so it doesn't really matter. I guess I'm saying this so you don't think I'm some kind of freak with seven fingers on one hand and only three on the other.

Rachel said...

It's the desire to be organized that counts, right? It just the making it happen thats hard.

I vote for the Wuthering Heights room. You can stick the kids in there when they are forlornly wailing. :P

Karen@StrictlySimpleStyle said...

I've been working on organization in my home office that doubles as a guest room. So far de-cluttering consists of stuffing everything into the closet and shoving the doors closed.

Hope you have better luck than me. I look forward to seeing your new space.

Visiting via SITS.

Elaine A. said...

What a fun project. Can't wait to find out if it stays office or becomes pool. I sit here in suspense. ;-)

P.S. Left you a little something on my blog today...

Perfectly Happy Mum said...

Oh it looks like my whole house...
You are such a great writer, write woman, write! You always make me laugh and nod. I love your style :)