Thursday, October 29, 2009

This is what happens when you move to the suburbs and have kids.

Something strange has happened to me.

Five years ago I definitely would not have laid eyes on a white ceramic bowl with black polka dots and a black cat centerpiece and thought I must have that bowl or all hell will break loose in this store.

Instead I would have snickered and wondered what kind of bizarre world a person must live in where that kind of thing would be desirable.

But here it is, on my table, along with orange napkins and mini pumpkin arrangements.


So what the hell happened?

Lately, and especially now that my toddler is aware of holidays and events, I've been filled with an urge to embrace seasonal paraphernalia.

Weird.

When I was pregnant I saw this cookie jar in a kitchen store and thought that will be a perfect cookie jar that my kids will grow up to remember as the cookie jar that was always filled with delicious baked treats. It's Yellow and red, for god sake. And, again with the polka dots.


Five years ago my idea of decorating for Halloween would have involved an orange martini. Now it's kid-friendly painted wooden ornaments perched in random corners of the house.


And wooden vegetables in baskets. I repeat: wooden vegetables.


Cupcakes. That I made. It's a miracle with frosting and jelly beans.


And witch silhouettes. That I downloaded from the Martha Stewart web site and cut out by hand.


And, worst of all, don't laugh - an inflatable spider.


It's all for the kids, I swear!

I don't know how, or when it happened. But somewhere in between thinking about babies and becoming an seasoned mother of two, I became a suburban person with Christmas hand towels and dishcloths.
Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

19 comments:

Nick the neighbour said...

I understand this completely. I've given myself over and won't even try to fight it. The only hold out is I still worry whether I have crossed the "line". You know the line between that's cute and fun (cat plate is cute and fun). To the other side, which you might find in an 80 year olds house that she hand-crocheted when she was 50 living alone with her cats and avon catalog.

Brit in Bosnia / Fraught Mummy said...

It happens to all of us. I think the key is to keep the orange martini aspect of it going as well...

Martini Mummy said...

This made me chuckle - fantastic post. You know that when you've got seasonal tea towels, it's time to admit defeat. MM

Midwest Mommy said...

So true. My mom had a ducky kitchen. I swear to the jelly fish if ducks ever make an appearance in my kitchen I have officially gone insane or senile.

LZ @ My Messy Paradise said...

I never buy them for myself, but love seasonal stuff. Thankfully, my mother is crazy about it and gives me all her older things.
It looks like your house is so nicely decorated!

Chandra said...

Funny how kids do that to ya :)

Metropolitan Mum said...

Bleurgh, I think I have caught that thing as well. There is a pumpkin on my window sill...

Hip Mountain Mama said...

This is a cute post! I can totally relate! There must be some kind of hormonal thing that happens after we have kids that attracts us to things we would otherwise see as silly. You are not alone Mama!!

Upstatemomof3 said...

Well, I gotta say you have very nice Halloween decorations. We did not decorate for Halloween this year - life is too crazy!! We go all out for Christmas though :)

Martha in PA said...

Happens to the best of us, and then as they get older and could care less about the decorations, we find that it is just too much trouble to put all that stuff out!!! We've got the extra special, every year kinds of things out, but the cut outs and window decals (they were bigger back in the late 90s I think) have been retired. As long as we have a couple pumpkins and gourds, my daughter is happy!

Happy VGNO!

VGNO

I am Harriet said...

I've amassed a collection myself.
Then what do you do with it?


Have a fun Halloween and VGNO!
http://iamharriet.blogspot.com/2009/10/how-much-candy-should-kid-eat-on.html

Tracie said...

Run away!! Lol. Just kidding! Embrace the polka dots. Your kids will look back and have the best memories of holidays....maybe not the inflatable spider though. :)

Happy VGNO!!

..... Carmen said...

I noticed all of those things today (ok, everything but the cookie jar) and thought they were seriously awesome! :) But that coming from an overly crafty person who has always been into seasonal paraphenalia - lol. And, all of the kids played with that spider - even Grace,which says something given she was scared of the sticky wall man :) What does J say? Does he just shake his head and sigh thinking you've joined the "dark" side? lol

Yaya said...

Cute! I've been wondering if once we have kids my 'bah humbug' attitude toward Halloween will go away.

Nancy@ifevolutionworks.com said...

It happens to the best of us :) Seems to me you are enjoying suburbia!

Carolee / Home4ever said...

Kids will do that to you!

Hope you had a Happy VGNO and have a Happy and Safe Halloween!

Tara said...

I have the urge to buy those things, and I don't have any kids! I still have the willpower not to at this point. But once I have kids, there's no stoppin' me.

Chic Mama said...

I bet you love it really! I love the witches....did you REALLY cut those out? They must have taken hours.

Maria @BOREDmommy said...

Parenthood claims another victim! The paraphernalia is a necessity I find - especially when they know whats going on. It just gets them more excited and happier!!