Sunday, October 4, 2009

Tip: when your other half wants to watch sci-fi, distract him by taking off your clothes and setting off the fire alarm.

On Friday night, after the kids were in bed, I agreed to watch the Star Trek movie with J. And by agreed I mean, I gritted my teeth and searched for a drop of enthusiasm to say the words "sure, we can watch that" instead of emitting the huge groan that was lingering in my throat. I knew how much J wanted to see this film so. OKAY then.

I'm not a fan of sci-fi. And I don't want to be one of those stereotypes that writes off sci-fi before even really giving it a chance. I just genuinely honestly really frankly am not interested. I've watched The X Files, Star Wars, Doctor Who, and probably some more that I can't remember. And still. I still don't enjoy it.

Sci-fi, aliens, and submarines (in movies): They could all be put into a cauldron of green sludge and never be seen again and I would loose no sleep.Not even a little wink.

As the film started, I found myself slipping away into thoughts like... oh crap I never did reply to that email from two days ago... And... I wonder how many calories are in that dessert I just ate... And... I wonder if J would notice if I snuck out my lap top for a minute because I really need to check Gmail...

And then I drifted back to the film... something to do with a spaceship passing through a black hole... some guy trying to kill some other guy on a spaceship... more spaceshippy things happening...

Already I was confused.

And then, failing to draw upon my own brain cells to figure out what was going on, I resorted to asking questions like a manically inquisitive five year-old.

Me: Why are there aliens on the spaceship with the humans? What, are they like, coexisting or something?

Me: Why is the woman from House giving birth on a spaceship? Isn't that irresponsible? There's NO frigging WAY she can go from early contractions to crowning within the space of two minutes. Gah.

Me: And why is the other spaceship shaped like a mop with tentacles?


Me: And why is that man not going with his wife who's giving birth? Oh yeah RIGHT, he has to "save" everyone. Bloody cheek.


Finally I ceased the questions and comments. And then Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto appeared as the main characters. And suddenly I was following the plot, enjoying the character storylines and laughing at the jokes and, well, liking it actually. As the credits rolled we were heartily agreeing about how good it was.

And then I went to bed and had nightmares about mop-headed aliens trying to eat me.
Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

12 comments:

James (SeattleDad) said...

Ah, but that was a good movie. You should give more a try.

Michele said...

So instead of dodging my husband every time he suggests we watch the new Star Trek for fear of losing a few brain cells I should give it a try? I'm not a science fiction fan and I've already sat through a few rotten ones with him. Thanks for the heads-up...I'll go ahead and give it a try with him next weekend. :-)

Mwa said...

Still not convinced...

The Dotterel said...

You need an iPod/Phone... turn the screen down and you can do all sorts of things whilst 'watching' tv - and nobody notices!

Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) said...

Sounds like something I would do - ask questions like a maniacal 5 year old...but then again, hubby does that when we're watching something I wanted to watch and he didn't...and it annoys me enough to decide not to have him watch 'my' stuff with me in the future. ;)

CaraBee said...

I really enjoyed Star Trek. But that might have something to do with Cutie McCuterson Chris Pine. Or that I *am* a sci-fi nerd. No. Let's go with Chris Pine. Yum.

Hot Cross Mum said...

Careful - it's a slippery slope. You'll be suggesting a holiday in Vegas next to coincide with the annual Trekki convention!

Lady Mama said...

James - Yeah it was good. But I heard the makers purposely made it less sci-fi and more universally appealing to reach a wider audience. Hence me liking it.

Michele - Yes give it a try. It helps that the main character is, um, hot.

Mwa - yeah me either.

The Dotterel - I SO need an iPhone.

Stacy - maybe that's part of his plan? ;)

CaraBee - Yes Chris Pine definitely improved it for me.

Lady Mama said...

Hot Cross Mum - Vegas I can handle!

Kate Coveny Hood said...

I like a lot of sci fi - but Star Trek is something I've never been able to get into... But now that they've replaced Leonard Nimoy with a younger, better model....

Daddy Geek Boy said...

The important thing is that you tried. In my house, I would have been left to watch it on my own, with WonderWife™ strolling by every few minutes to shout, "geek!" at me.

Maria @BOREDmommy said...

Star Trek - BOO. Unless Colin Firth walked onto the screen and stared at me through the T.V., and they called that Star Trek, I won't be changing my mind any time soon.