Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Too tired to tweet

Sleep deprivation is going to kill me. Or, if it doesn't kill me, it's going to deprive me of the ability to make sense of ordinary things. Soon I won't be able to form a sentence that sense makes. And would no one then able be to blog my read. And that suck would.

I had an inkling I was over tired when I caught myself singing "I'm so tired, but that's okay 'cause so are you." to myself in the mirror this morning.

And then I found my lost keys in the dish washer. And though it was nice to have sparkly clean keys, I decided this was not the behaviour of an alert, awake person.

And then I started calling the dog by the kid's names, the kids by my husband's name, my husband by the dog's name. It was all a bit confusing.

And when a charity called to arrange the details of a clothing pick up, I had to check my front door to make sure I was giving her the right house number.

And while on the phone, I watched as my toddler squeezed the juice from half a grapefruit onto the sofa and lick it off exclaiming "delicious!" and did nothing about it. Because I hadn't yet had my coffee.



I admit, it's partially my own fault. I gave up on sleep training because I wanted to hang on to the sweet baby cuddles. Because soon the sweet baby will be a stubborn toddler. And there may be no more babies or baby cuddles. And so, my brilliant plan of ditching the sleep training completely botched any hope of sleeping through the night.

Even coffee - my morning vice, my luva in a cuppa - isn't as effective any more. After two or three cups my head is still foggy and I still cannot think lucidly.

But at least I won't need a mask for Halloween this year. The bags and wrinkles will suffice.


Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

15 comments:

..... Carmen said...

My stubborn toddler has me in the same condition. Looks like we are wearing the same costume this year ;)

Brit in Bosnia / Fraught Mummy said...

Thank everything under the sun for coffee. I'm now drinking the incredibly strong sludge in a cup sort. I can't function without it. Ill advisedly went out the other day without a cup first and reversed straight into a van.

Glad it isn't just me putting things in weird places either! Marmite and tea bags in the fridge this morning.... took me ages to find them.

Mwa said...

Tiredness is a bitch. I hope you get some sleep soon.

Badass Geek said...

I know the feeling all too well.

My only suggestion wouldn't be legal, so I'd just stick to the caffeine.

Some kind of Wondermom said...

Feel like I'm living your life. Called the kids by my brothers' names... let the boy eat chocolate chip cookies on the couch this morning for breakfast because I was too tired to care. Have a feeling I'm going to regret this.

Wish I could feel as refreshed as my 5 month old on 15 minute naps. Noticed I'm typing comments like I'm on twitter.

Canadian Bald Guy said...

In all due fairness...who HASN'T washed their keys in the dishwasher?


;-)

Lady Mama said...

Carmen - okay well then I won't feel as bad. ;)

Brit in Bosnia - I still thank the coffee gods every morning. I went without one morning and my head was buzzing.

Mwa - thanks. Hope so too.

Badass Geek - I'm open to illegal suggestions.

Wondermom - Yes it gets to the point where you really are too tired to bother with certain things.

CBG - So it's not just me? ;)

Sandy said...

My eight-month-old son Oscar refuses to sleep, so I am with you. I can't even remember what it was like to get a normal night's sleep. Oscar has never slept through the night, and even when I was pregnant with him I had such bad reflux I couldn't sleep well. Sigh...Maybe when he's in college! :)

James (SeattleDad) said...

You may just fall over at some point. Take care of yourself.

Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) said...

I never knew the true meaning of 'tired' until I had a baby. I feel your pain. :)

And actually, that's genius washing your keys in the dishwasher... Talk about sanitize to the max! I might throw mine in tonight on purpose! ;)

Mammatalk said...

Ah, I know the feeling. He will sleep someday. Fingers crossed that day will be soon!

LZ @ My Messy Paradise said...

We've been having these issues lately, too. Even when I'm not woken up by crying, I lay in bed anticipating being woken up and can't sleep. We're giving up on forcing her in her crib because we just want to sleep.
I hope things turn around and you get some rest soon!

Kate Coveny Hood said...

Awwww! Poor thing. I remember that so well. Of coures I still have to wake up at least once a night to check in with those needy twins - but it's nothing like the baby days. If it makes you feel any better, I really tried to sleep train my oldest and he didn't sleep through the night until he was well over a year old.

And I STILL go for the cuddle over sleep. Case in point: George has been in my bed two nights in a row (Chris is out of town - so there is plenty of room). I can barely sleep for looking at that sweet little face nose to nose with mine. When he's fifteen, I'll dream about this. No regrets.

Lady Mama said...

Sandy - Same here, can't remember what sleeping through was like.

James - Thanks I will (try).

Stacy - True. Haha. Yes you should try it.

Mammatalk - I'm hoping.

LZ - The anticipation is almost as bad!

Kate - Yes I have a feeling even with the sleep training my baby wouldn't sleep through.

Lil said...

Oh I SOOO know how you feel! Alex has been waking me up every 2-3 hours at night and because he is my 'baby' I do not feel ready to let go of those late night/early early morning cuddles. In the long run I end up forgetting what I did 5 minutes ago.