Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The morning I agreed to do a TV interview

Yesterday morning at around 11:30 I arrived home from a playgroup, baby under one arm, diaper bag under the other, coaxing my toddler up the steps ahead of me. A normal morning.

Ignoring the mess I'd neglected to tidy earlier that morning, I put Oliver down for his nap and began simultaneously preparing lunch, calling my parents in England and checking email. Sometimes I am like wonder woman. Only without the super fit body. And the lycra leotard. And the super powers.

I noticed an email from a CBC reporter. He wanted to interview me about the H1N1 vaccine debacle. Minutes later I was on the phone giving him directions to my house, all cool and nonchalant, like, oh sure, I can do an interview for TV.

Um. What?

And then I realized I'd agreed to do an interview for television. In forty minutes. In my house - my house that looked like a nuclear disaster zone. No really. There were dishes in the sink, cereal bowls abandoned from breakfast beside spills of milk and rice krispies, toys and books on the floor, paperwork on every surface.

Shit. Shit. Shit.

Why did I agree to this? Oh yes - sleep deprivation - I can blame that. Hahaha I'm insane.

So then I spent forty minutes tidying the house - obviously by tidying I mean shoving things into cupboards and drawers. I cursed a lot as I tidied. My toddler helped me by taking the things I had just put away back out and hurling them on the floor. And then he helped by emptying his juice box all over the sofa.

The reporter and camera man arrived and I was all ahaha, yes, I'm completely calm, everything's fine and my house is tidy and I'm not at all freaking out about being on TV.

And then, as I was getting my microphone attached, as if on cue, Matthew started yelling "HEEELLLP! HEEEELLP!" from his bedroom. (I had tried to put him down for a nap. What? No I didn't just lock him in his room - what kind of parent do you think I am?)

The interview was okay but I definitely won't be pursuing a career in television. You can watch it here.

Don't laugh! Okay laugh a bit.
Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

17 comments:

Brit in Bosnia / Fraught Mummy said...

You invited TV people? To your house! What were you thinking!

PS - your house looks pretty tidy, come over to mine and I'll show you what a real tip looks like!

Maternal Tales said...

Ooh well done you - and I didn't even laugh one little bit! You were great, your house was immaculate and your chidlren gorgeous! No one would have guessed the whirlwind 40 minutes you had just before!! xxxx

Mwa said...

It looked very tidy indeed! And you're so brave to go on TV. I thought you were very easy to understand. I've been to Edmonton - I didn't know that was around where you are.

Tiffany said...

how nerve racking and exciting at the same time! i would have been freaking out too!

Bear and Bones Mama said...

I think you look lovely. Good job.

Mom Mayhem says: said...

Your house looked great,you looked great,your children looked great -Great job overall!!
I'm surprised how they're handling the H1N1 shots there. Here they do pretty much go 1st to high risk people.
Again great job! -How exciting and nerve racking having to clean up so fast.

Lil said...

Great job! You looked great and so did the kids! As mentioned before one couldn't tell you had been running around minutes before!ps. no mess noticed.

Sparkless said...

I agree you looked and sounded great and your kids looked wonderful too. No mom of small kid's home will ever look perfect unless she has a maid and another room to lock the kids in.

Metropolitan Mum said...

You were born to be on TV. I can see it all in front of me...
Well done!

Chic Mama said...

You like living on the edge don't you! Good for you for having the courage to stand up to it all...you are much braver than me.
I bet it's going to take you ages to find all the bits that you hid in cupboards, I do that and then lose it all. :0)
Anyway, well done, you looked great!

Karen @ If I Could Escape . . . said...

Ooh no, well done you! And, your home looked immaculate!!

Happy Bonfire Night!

wherewiller said...

Awesome!

Loukia said...

Oh my GOD! I feel like I TOTALLY know you now! You are so pretty... I love your eyes! And your boys!!! THEY ARE SIMPLY GORGEOUS!!! Awww, what cuties. And your house? NO MESS at all. I loved it! Yay, you. You did great.

Complicated Mama said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Complicated Mama said...

How exciting!!... who cares what the house looks like... if you looked fab, all that matters in my book! :)

...o yea im shallow like that

Lady Mama said...

Thanks for all the lovely comments! :)

Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) said...

Aren't you a cutie patootie! :) You'd never know that you were rushing around moments before the crew arrived...care to come do a flurry clean up at my house? I'll be happy to interview you in exchange... :)

It's amazing how those that are they are handling the H1N1 shots - you are so right, you need the shot, too - who's going to take care of your kids if you get sick?