Thursday, November 26, 2009

The renovations just go on and on and on.

There's something about the threat of change that makes me a little giddy. Not that having new floor installed is really that big a change. And I do want so badly to be rid of the carpet that has suffered years of assault from kids and dogs and spills and stains.

Maybe it's the still-fresh memories of our last renovations that have put me in this temporary trance. Whatever it is, I'm not loving the sight of these forty or so boxes of wood in my living room right now.


Because in the next five days, everything has to come out of the house so that the floor can be laid. Every little thing.

Some people, when faced with a big task, dive in right away. Like J, he's a diver. Other people (ahem) become lethargic at the prospect of the mountain of work and instead of facing it, wander off in search of any other distraction.

J is good at this. I'm not.

When we were getting ready to move from England to Canada, he became project manager extraordinaire, sorting out our belongings, selling things, giving things away, packing up the rest to bring. He filled out all the paperwork. He organized the shipping of our possessions, even ordering the boxes to pack everything in.

I'm sure I helped somehow...

And then there were the basement renovations last year. I don't even want to replay that nightmare in my head.

But anyway. It has to be done. And it'll be nice. Wish me luck...
Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

9 comments:

Heather said...

oh good luck. i must confess I too am a diver. Well, when i'm not procrastinating...

Chic Mama said...

Oh I'm a procrastinator too.....I will ANYTHING other than what I should be doing. ( take now for instance...should be getting ready to take children to school instead I'm reading blogs)
Good luck with it all I'm sure you will find some motivation eventually. x

Mwa said...

Good luck! xxx

..... Carmen said...

When we did our floors I was a little scared of the job ahead too - but in the end, it was an awesome opportunity to purge things we owned that we really never used or needed. Just keep focused on how AWESOME your new floors will look, and then the thrill of being able to re-organize your rooms (or is it just me that loves to do that?).

Loukia said...

Good Luck!!!!

James (SeattleDad) said...

Oh, but how I feel for you. My mantra during such changes is "Time Flies, Time Flies" It may be painful, but it WILL be over in seemingly no time.

Good luck.

Lady Mama said...

Heather, I WISH I was a diver, I really do.

Chic Mama, maybe I'll find some motivation the day before? ;)

Mwa, thank you!

Carmen, yes you're right - must stay focused and it will be lovely when it's done. And yes I kind of am looking forward to reorganizing things when they go back in...

Loukia, thanks!

James, I'll remember your mantra. I know you've been through reno hell lately too.

Tammy said...

Well this certainly isn't making me look forward to my renovation!!

Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) said...

I'm not so much of a diver, but hubby is even less so, so I have to be the one that ultimately dives in...eventually. ;)

Good luck with the project - hope you plan to post before, during and after pics! I bet you'll be so glad when it's done! :)