Thursday, November 19, 2009

The Teenage Toddler

Remember when you were a teenager and your parents would try to be cool or funny and say things like "groovy!" and "snazzy!" and you would look at them with that blank stare that teenagers are so good at and roll your eyes, hoping no one else was there to witness your embarrassment?

Remember that?

Well apparently we're not waiting for the teen years here. We're starting. Right. Now. Toddler style. With a side of slouch and sarcasm.

I noticed this new teen toddler behaviour the other day when I was singing to Avril Levigne in the car. We were going through downtown and I was belting out "Keeeeep Hooolding Oo-oo-oon. Cus you know we'll make it through we'll make it through..."

When I heard a somber little voice from the back of the car.

"Mama."

I carried on since I was driving.

"Juuuuust staa-aay stro-oo-oong"

Then I heard it again as we pulled up to the lights.

"Mama." His voice was quite serious.

I turned to look at him. His deadpan expression told me he was not impressed with my singing.

"No Mama." He said very seriously and then turned to look out the window.

I laughed to myself. It was kind of cute and amusing to see him expressing his distaste. And then, pushing my luck, I continued, a little louder.

"Nothin' you can do. Nothin' you can say. There's no other way-"

And simultaneously he began barking his orders.

"Mama! Mama! Mama! Mama! No Mama! No Mama!"

As I pulled into a parking spot I caught sight of Matthew giggling to himself despite his sincerity.

That's when I realized, I'm so going to be an embarrassing mum. I just hope he can still laugh about it when he's fourteen.
Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

23 comments:

Heather said...

ha ha ha, i always get 'mummy don't sing!' Even if i do it really quietly and I dont think she can hear me. If they are like this now, what are they going to be like when they actually become teenagers? Gasp.

Canadian Bald Guy said...

My dad is 63 and still calls me 'dude'.

I already embarrass my 10 year old when I sing in the car.

I think it's a parental right of passage, isn't it?

Laura - Are We Nearly There Yet Mummy? said...

My kids are always telling me not to sing. Sometimes they have a point.

Momma Sunshine said...

That's the whole point of having kids, isn't it? To embarass them for our own amusement?

Totally looking forward to the teenage years.

Mwa said...

I hate that. My daughter tells me not to sing all the time. Ugly rejection is the lot of all mothers.

Chic Mama said...

Unfortunately it gets a lot lot worse.

Lady Mama said...

Heather - I'm in between dreading and looking forward to the teen years.

CBG - Yes I agree. My Dad was a master at embarrassing me. Therefore I must continue the tradition.

Laura - You know, in truth my son does have a point. I think I sound pretty bad.

Momma Sunshine - Agreed!

Mwa - Unfortunately yes.

Chic Mama - I'm keeping my head in the sand for now.

Karen @ If I Could Escape . . . said...

And so it begins!! My oldest son now tells me when I say old-fashioned words! He'll say, ye know Mum they really don't use that word these days. How very dare he? LOL

James (SeattleDad) said...

Maybe he just doesn't like Avril...

Loukia said...

Heehee... ;) Don't take it personally... my boys hate when I sing too! My youngest even shakes his finger at me, saying "no, no!" I guess they prefer to hear the 'professionals' do it, huh?

Angela said...

LOL! Don't givec up...get him to join you. I've got my 4 and 7 YOs belting out Taylor Swift songs better than they know "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star".

And man, are they ever BAD. Wonder where they got that from? :)

..... Carmen said...

That's so funny - I can totally picture him saying it. G's thing is to tell us o "Stop" when we are talking and she isn't involved in the conversation. She'll sit there (mostly a dinner) and just keep repeating "Stop, Stop". If we don't respond within 2 nanoseconds we get "Stop talking!".

Lil said...

LOL that is so funny! Lexi has also vervalized her distaste of my singing..She is very vocal about what she likes and does not like.

OHmommy said...

Oh my... that is funny. I got a similar response at the Miley Cyrus concert, "Mom. Stop singing. I didn't come here to hear YOU!!!!"

Kate Coveny Hood said...

What is it about kids and parents singing? My kids HATE it when I sing, and usually scream for me to stop. And it's not like I have a bad voice or anything...I won't be trying out for American Idol or America's Got Talent - but it's perfectly acceptable as far as car and shower singing goes.

Bud Weiser, WTIT said...

Hi Sarah-

I'm Judd Corizan from the blog Sunday Stealing. Every week we rip a meme off someone's blog. Today we chose yours from Wednesday. Your post title is a riot!! We give you full credit and link back to your blog. The great thing is that a lot of previous "victims" such as yourself have become regular players! We publish the blog between 3 and 6 PM EST Saturday. We usually get between 60 and 80 people who play and comment on each other's responses. And a lot of our players are previous victims of our theft like you! We hope you play along in the weeks to come! Thank you and have a great day...

MummyMatters said...

Love it, love it, love it! Kids are great, though thankfully mine hasn't told me to stop singing yet. My Baby Bean sings (well howls) along with and dances her socks off, in particular to anything by the Black Eyed Peas!!

Daddy Geek Boy said...

Awesome.

My kids are constantly encouraging me to embarrass myself in front of them.

Amanda said...

Yep, N is always telling me to stop singing too. In his case, he tells me it is because "Miss Natalie does". Miss Natalie is the teacher of a class we attended for a few months and yes, she does sing and yes, some of the songs I sing are hers. However... she's now getting credit for any possible song I can think of! I'm even told to stop shaking my hands (which I'm doing not for entertainment purposes but to try to relieve my full-term-pregnancy-induced carpal tunnel syndrome), because apparently that's one of her signature moves too. I used to humour him, but now I'm starting to take some pleasure in continuing my singing and hand-shaking and seeing him get more and more fed up with my mortifying behaviour. :-)

Does your toddler also wipe off all our kisses? That's another really tender moment we have many times a day.

LZ @ My Messy Paradise said...

My almost 5 year old has perfected the eye roll. And she uses it freely.
We're doomed!

Midwest Mommy said...

My daughter (3) will do the same thing to me! Mommy stop it, I get it all the time!

Lady Mama said...

Amanda - No we haven't had the wiping off of kisses yet. That's brutal!

Amanda said...

Given how he clings to me during playdates, you'd never guess he's a secret kiss-wiper-offer, huh?