Sunday, November 8, 2009

This is why I don't shop with other people.

On Saturday J and I were presented with a rare opportunity to go out for the morning alone. Just us, no kids. And since we're about to enter the next phase of house renovations happy fun times, we decided to go in search of a new a sofa.

J and I have similar taste in furniture. We studied design at the same university in London and we share a love of modern, graphic prints and simple, clean lines. So usually, we're on the same page when it comes to furniture.

Usually.

But on Saturday I wasn't in the mood for modern. As we circuited the glossy showroom with its angular chairs and contemporary fabrics, all I could think was, bachelor pad bachelor pad bachelor pad. Not, family living room with kids and dogs and spills and tears and curling up on the sofa with a cup of tea and a book.

Damn suburban life - ruiner of good taste and style.

"I don't like anything."
"Nothing?"
"Nothing."
"Nothing at all?"
"Nothing at all."

As we trekked around various other furniture stores, what followed was a string of stubbornness, pouting, sighing, shuddering, laughing, stomping. (All J.)

Here's the thing. I love shopping. Doesn't matter what for - clothes, shoes, coffee tables, books, earthenware casserole dishes, handbags, salt and pepper shakers, plastic containers - whatever. It's always the same contented feeling that results. The rush of satisfaction that the shiny new thing is mine. Mine! (Cackling)


It's a warm fuzzy happy jolly time.

But you know what's not such a fuzzy happy jolly time? Me shopping with other people. When I shop with other people, I am a bloody nightmare on hissy wheels.

Why am I a nightmare on hissy wheels?

Well.

1. I'm a selfish shopper. I don't want to be considerate while I'm shopping. I'm considerate in all other areas of life. Shopping is My Selfish Thing.

2. I'm unwaveringly definite about what I like and don't like.

3. If the product I love doesn't fit my budget, I say bugger the budget and get it anyway.

So, usually I shop solo. It's better that way.

But the sofa was a joint decision. So we went back and forth, each presenting our case for the best sofa. The sales staff stood back and watched as we negotiated and haggled (with each other).

And then finally the skies parted and we agreed on a sofa. A beautiful sofa that fit both of our requirements: modern and comfortable. One movies can be watched on underneath blankets. One guests will sit on after dinner. One I'll curl up on in the evening to relax after a long day.

So in the end, we worked it out.

But I'm choosing the cushions and the throw. On my own. Ha.



***My husband read this post and would like to point out that the final decision was not, in fact, a compromise, that actually I got my wretched way, as usual. And he added that he's going to take my advice about blowing the budget and spend twice what we agreed on a TV for the basement. Um.***



Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

12 comments:

James (SeattleDad) said...

I will go out on a limb here and say that NO ONE really assumed it would be a compromise when a husband and wife go shopping together.

Life just don't work that way.

Loukia said...

Shopping solo IS the BEST!!!

Lil said...

LOL Can't wait to see the sofa 'you' chose. I also like to shop solo with no time limit. I hate time limits.

Karen @ If I Could Escape . . . said...

Gosh, we could be twins separated at birth!! I love shopping too!

Mwa said...

Very funny! You should get your way. I hate when I don't get my way. It's just not right.

Chic Mama said...

I love furniture shopping....as long as I'm not actually looking to buy. That's when I get confused, frustrated and wish someone would just give me a few choices and then I pick one. :0)

Jules said...

I love shopping solo too. We can go to the mall together but then it is time to split up until lunch. THE BEST!

Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) said...

Solo shopping always works better for me, too. ;)

Elaine A. said...

Damn literate husbands... GAH! ;-P

P.S. glad you got the one YOU wanted!

Brit in Bosnia / Fraught Mummy said...

I HATE shopping with anyone else but I REALLY REALLY hate it with my husband. He hates it too. It is not a good thing.

Luckily we found our sofa on ebay for £20 and it is lovely. Poor bloke had to deliver it to us too.

Brit in Bosnia / Fraught Mummy said...

I HATE shopping with anyone else but I REALLY REALLY hate it with my husband. He hates it too. It is not a good thing.

Luckily we found our sofa on ebay for £20 and it is lovely. Poor bloke had to deliver it to us too.

Kate Coveny Hood said...

I don't know...the dueling blows to the budget sounds like a win-win to me...

I love this. My favorite way to shop is alone. I'm a power shopper and like to stay in a store as long as I need to and leave as soon as I want to. And I never need anyone's advice about what looks good on me. If I'm that insecure or ambivalent, I'll ask a sales person. They'll tell me to buy it which I was going to do anyway if I bothered to ask. So who needs friends and family to slow me down, confuse me and make me feel guilty for spending money I don't have.

Luckily for my far more frugal husband, I don't have the time or solitude to shop anymore. I'm more or less limited to Target and Old Navy, pushing an automatic timer in a double stroller.