Friday, November 6, 2009

Undisturbed sleep, I want to cover you in whipped cream and marry you.

A week ago I was more than tired. I was forgetting people's names. I was leaving keys in the front door. I was accusing my house of conspiring against me by hiding things I couldn't find. I began convincing myself it really was okay to wear white socks with black shoes because there were no black ones washed.

I had tried sleep training before and failed. On purpose, kind of, because my baby was my baby and I couldn't let go of his sweet needy cuddles. I continued giving in to his demands, two, three or four times a night, even though I knew my night visits were more about comfort than necessity.

Then my doctor asked me, matter of factly, what about you Sarah?

And I was like, huh?

She pointed to the cracks under the surface, sort of like the varicose veins you hope no one will notice.

Lately it's as though my brain cells have one by one been jumping ship with each sleepless night. And the thing is - I need those molecules of brainy goodness. Because I have two kids, a husband, friends, a life, interests, and soon, a career again. A career that requires brains for problem solving.

So, four nights ago, we put Oliver down in his bed, kissed him goodnight, and told him we'd see him in the morning. That night there were a few crying spells. Each time, we'd go in to check on him and make sure he was safe and warm. And then we left him.

And that first night, we slept. For SEVEN WHOLE HOURS.

Each night since then has been a little better, with less stirrings, and then last night - the fourth night, Oliver slept from 7 at night til 7 in the morning. Without a single peep.

Whoooooooooooooooooooo!
And again.
Whoooooooooooooooooooo!


Now I just need to make sure I don't get pregnant again any time soon.
Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

17 comments:

James (SeattleDad) said...

Score!! Happy for you.

And make sure also that you don't plan any do it yourself home projects either.

Elaine A. said...

He is really cute to sleep with (oh wait, that doesn't sound quite right, does it?)...
But SO glad you are sleeping with NO interruptions!! :D

Lady Mama said...

James - Good suggestion, unfortunately we always have projects on the go! Next are hardwood floors (although not doing that ourselves) and re-doing the kitchen. It will never end. Ever.

Elaine - Thanks!

Sarah Joseph said...

Congrats, sleep must feel so good. You have inspired me! I will give sleep training a real try, I promise. It's time. Now, how do I stop making excuses and actually do this thing?

Kate Coveny Hood said...

Great news! The multiple wake up calls...those were dark days...

Lady Mama said...

Sarah Joseph - There's no trick to it unfortunately. You just have to bite the bullet and do it. It's hard the first night but it does get better. I'm proof! Good luck.

Kate - Yes, the dark days indeed. Hoping those are behind me now. :)

Jules said...

That is so exciting when that happens!! Enjoy your sleep....

Just Nick the neighbour said...

7 hours of straight sleep-you must feel like you can leap tall buildings and other super hero feats...congratulations!

Sparkless said...

Oh fantastic! You and he must both feel so much better for getting a good nights sleep.

OHmommy said...

Ah, but w/the next child, you will be SO worn down and tired from the day ou will never hear them cry at night. Promise.

LZ @ My Messy Paradise said...

that will be exactly what happens! As soon as one issue is resolved, something will change. Enjoy it while it lasts and congrats on helping him sleep!

Maternal Tales said...

Am I allowed to say I told you so or is that just plain mean??!!! Seriously though, well done honey - I'm not only ridiculously proud that you saw it through, but also totally chuffed that you've had some sleep. Sanity here you come xxxx

Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) said...

WooHoo! Sleep is definitely underrated not overrated... :) Glad the little one is letting you sleep at night now! :)

Loukia said...

Haha with your last sentence! And yay yay yay!!!!

Mwa said...

Hurray for you! And hurray for sleep!!!

Chic Mama said...

Yay! Whoo hooo....fantastic! Knew you could do it. ;0)

Metropolitan Mum said...

I remember the first morning after a slept through night. Feels like being reborn. Pure bliss. Congrats!!