Tuesday, December 1, 2009

It's my birthday and I'll brag if I want to.

So tomorrow is my birthday. The day I usually spend protesting that everyone is horribly misinformed - that I'm at least two years younger than my real age until I'm blue in the face.

Except this year I'm not going to pretend I'm 25, or even 29. I'm going to shrug my shoulders and say, whatever dudes, I'm thirty one.

You know why I'm not going to pretend I'm 29 this year? Because though life is not, by any stretch perfect, I have a lot to be happy about. I'm not wealthy. I don't have the biggest house in my neighbourhood or the fanciest car. I am not a Victoria's Secret model (yes that's right I turned them down). I don't have a wine cellar. But damn I'd like one. (J, if you're reading, there's still time to build me one before tomorrow morning if you start now...)

What I do have are two healthy, beautiful children, a wonderful husband, a great family, a roof over my head, amazing friends, and my freedom. I really do have a lot.

The old ideals slipped off my radar sometime in between having my first son and now. I'm much less preoccupied with the desire to be defined by status and wealth. Career is more about fulfillment than monetary gain. Money is about affording a comfortable lifestyle and providing for my family than excess. Health is about balance.

And.

It feels like just yesterday I was this little girl sitting at my father's piano, tapping out the sounds of the notes.


Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

17 comments:

liliana said...

First, you were such a cute kid! Second, having kids puts a perspective of what is really important in life. I am thankful every time I turn a year older (better than the alternative). I am very much looking forward to turning 30 next year!
Oh and an early Happy Birthday to you!

liliana said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lady Mama said...

Thanks Lil! But now I'm not talking to you because you really are 29.

Badass Geek said...

I suppose that this would be a bad time to mention that I'm only 24.

Mwa said...

Happy 31st for tomorrow! I loved 31. I'm liking 32 even better. You're so right - you should just go for being in your thirties. They're excellent.

Karen @ If I Could Escape . . . said...

Happy birthday to you!!

Brit in Bosnia / Fraught Mummy said...

The 30s totally rock. I'm loving mine (sadly a lot closer to coming to the end of them than you are!). Have a great birthday and great post - just the thing to remind me of what is important in life!

Mammatalk said...

You've accomplished a lot in 31 years. Enjoy your day! You deserve it!

Captain Dumbass said...

Happy Birthday.

Jennyre said...

Czerny, no less! Happy day from your decade-older internet pal. J

Really Rachel said...

So cute! Happy birthday :o) Hope you have a fab day!
I'm 32 and you know what? I wouldn't like to be younger: I wouldn't want to go back. Enjoy!

Midwest Mommy said...

Happy early birthday! This is a great post and so true!

Mom Mayhem says: said...

Happy Birthday!! What a cute picture too :)

Kate Coveny Hood said...

Happy birthday! That picture is precious.

James (SeattleDad) said...

Happy Birthday!

And I would give away my cats to be 31 again.

Ok, so I would give them away for a lot less, but you get the idea.

Cut kid picture too.

Loukia said...

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!! You were the MOST beautiful little girl, my goodness! I hope you have a fantastic year... and may all your wishes come true! And P.S., you're only 31? I feel sooo old! (I'm 33! GAH!)

Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) said...

Happy Birthday!! Love that picture of you at the piano - you were (and are) ADORABLE! :)