Thursday, December 10, 2009

Little copy cats.

"What's the teddy bear doing Matthew?"
"He in the spaceship. And there the moon."
"Yes. And you know what they're doing? They're having a picnic!"
"A pic-a-nic!"
"Yup."
"Oh no mama! Look! It's mess! It's mess!"
"Oh. Is it?"
"Yes mama! Ooooh noooo! What mess!"

Since Matthew started talking I've discovered certain things about myself through the things he says, or rather, repeats. Like the fact that I'm a bit of a neat freak. My verbal complaints about mess have evidently found their way into his brain and now he's repeating my silly habit.

Shi-oot.

When someone coughs or sneezes he asks "you okay?" with concern. I guess because, being an overly cautious mum, I ask the question of him, often.

He's even caught onto a little trick I devised to get the dog to go outside. A few times when he was in my way I'd say "Bongo! There's a cat outside! A cat!" very convincingly and the dog would belt out the dog door in search of the imaginary feline.

But Matthew caught on to my little trick, and began copying. "Go cat! Go cat!" he yells every day now, cackling to himself as the poor dog unquestioningly follows his command, then returns confused. No cat. And then again "Go cat! Go cat!".

Sometimes it's easy to forget that every word that leaves my mouth, every tone, every action, is being absorbed and saved by the little eyes and ears that are with me every day.

What have you learned about yourself through your kids?
Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

12 comments:

Chic Mama said...

The cat thing really made me giggle.
I know exactly what you mean....it's scary and you really have to have a big rethink of what to say/how you say it. Some things just don't sound 'politically correct' coming out of a toddler's mouth! ;0)

Metropolitan Mum said...

Haha. I think I should really start to watch what I am saying. I mean REALLY.

Heather said...

I know what you mean! when my little girl developed an obsession with having clean clothes and washing her hands and face i had to take a good look at what i was teaching her. She just didn't want to get dirty, at all. she still hates to wear clothes that are a little bit wet or dirty but just flings them off and runs around naked - she didn't learn that bit from me tho, honest ;)

Midwest Mommy said...

Oh like are like parrots! I swear some of the things my daughter says I could just laugh.
She came up to me the other day and said, "oh mom it's just so frust-er-rating.

Kate Coveny Hood said...

Hilarious!

I think about this every day. The twins are always saying things to me like "Mommy very mad? Is big deal?" My favorite are the affirmative ones though like, "I so proud of you mom - you're such good girl."

Lady Mama said...

Chic Mama - I know - sometimes I don't realize I say certain things until I hear my toddler repeating them!

Met Mum - Oh yes. ;)

Heather - Haha, no of course not! My son will say "sticky!" if he has the smallest bit of anything on his hands.

Midwest Mommy - Haha! Too funny.

Kate - Haha. It's tempting to get some of it on video so you can watch it back when they're adults.

Angela said...

It IS great to hear ourselves echoed in our children. The good and the bad....they are our little mirrors, reminding us how important it is to lead by example.

What I really love is that my 4 YO daughter will often spontaneously walk up to me, give me a big hug, rub my hair a bit, cup my cheek with her little hand, look me straight in the eyes, and say, "Oh, Mommy, I love you just so much, you're the best...you're my only little Mommy-girl".

And I know full well she gets that from when I tell her how much I love my "only little baby-girl".

:)

Mwa said...

That is so true!!! I have learned that I'm all about the cleanliness and the obedience (especially out in the street when there are cars around). Oops.

James (SeattleDad) said...

Oh yes. Been thinking about a post about this myself but Lukas makes all kinds of goofy sounds, altering his voice, wispering, making up words and laughing at himself.

Just like me.

Brit in Bosnia / Fraught Mummy said...

Currently youngest is going around pointing out sockets saying 'very very damberos'. I hope he stops this game soon and he forgets all about sockets sharpish!

SnafflesMummy said...

oh yes, i know exactly what you mean.

I must say "darling" alot becuase I get "yes darling" when I ask Snaffles something.

I also seem to have road rage, Snaffles says "come on" to the other cars! oops

Elaine A. said...

I learned that I say "OH my Gosh!" way too much. Because so do they! Ugh!