Saturday, December 26, 2009

Little less stuff, little more contemplation please.

Happy Holidays dear readers! Hope your celebrations have been filled with turkey and ham and chocolate and wine and cookies and sex and fun (oh yes I did just say cookies and sex and fun).

On Christmas morning a small miracle took place when we slept (almost uninterrupted) until 9 am. Because that hasn't happened in forever. I woke feeling so unusually refreshed I practically leaped out of bed to see what Santa had brought me.

The day began with the boys tearing into their presents and Matthew exclaiming wow! and woah! and wook mama! before swiftly moving onto the next one.

I cooked a large breakfast - toasted English muffins with bacon and eggs, and we drank coffee and watched the kids ripping paper off present after present. I watched the living room fill up with frantically discarded wrapping paper, ribbons and cardboard boxes. As Matthew moved from one gift to another, I wondered if he'd even remember the first toy he opened or if it was already forgotten.

By the end of the day, filled with goodies and sugary treats and turkey and stuffing, and after a few over-stimulated, sugar-induced meltdowns, the boys retreated to their favourite toy - a large cardboard box with holes carved for windows.


And as I took in all the new stuff swimming around our house, I felt like the excess of the day was a metaphor for the year. It's been a year of tearing through thing after thing, just getting through - moving onto the next moment, without really savouring the present.

Really, there's been a lot. The most jam packed year of my life.

A second son. Two big renovations. Losing someone very dear. Making new friends. Happy times. Coping and struggling. Loving being a family of four - contemplating being a family of five. Missing loved ones far away. Spending money on stuff for the house, the kids, ourselves.

So now I feel like it's time to stop for a while, to not simply move onto the next thing, but to take some time and let everything sink in for a while. I don't want to be the person that's always looking ahead to what's next, never content with what they have.

The first thing I need to cut? The food! Bloody hell. Because damn those tight fitting jeans - I knew it would happen - they're laughing at me from the wardrobe right now, mocking me for being so optimistic right before the holidays.

Bugger.
Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

10 comments:

Loukia said...

Ha! Of course their favourite toy is a big cardboard box... of course! Merry Christmas... I'm scared to try on some of my clothes, too, as I stopped dieting over the last few days... yikes!!!

James (SeattleDad) said...

We have been non stop for months now too. And I am sick yet again. You really need time to catch you breath and soak in what you have been working towards.

And it is so typical that the boys love the cardboard box. The best gift ever invented.

Happy Holidays to you.

Kate Coveny Hood said...

Oh - my tight clothes are a constant holiday theme for me. The celebratory eating starts around the end of November (U.S. Thanksgiving) and lasts through the New Year. I'm generally a size up by now and it's always a bummer.

But Christmas with enthusiastic kids was fun. A little wild - but a great time. Sounds like yours was the same!

Heather said...

That box looks amazing! And yeah, I too woke up this morning declaring it a chocolate and wine free day. all my pants are getting just that little too tight, any more and it will become unsightly.

Chic Mama said...

Seems to be a time for contemplations. Your Christmas sounds perfect and yes we all need to appreciate what we have rather than looking to the next project, you're right on that one. x

Nap Warden said...

Good thing for me to strive for...I'm always looking ahead. Way. Too. Much. I could use some time at the gym as well, stoopid jeans:P

Metropolitan Mum said...

Funny. I was thinking about writing a post about the last year, but don't seem to find a beginning, as it just seemed ALL TOO MUCH!
I am so longing for a simpler life. Please!

Lisa said...

Amen sister. My body just gave out on Christmas day and gave me no choice but to slow down. Life is so busy, and hectic and fast paced. Taking a breath and just standing still is an excellent idea indeed. P.S. I think we have the same jeans!

Elaine A. said...

Yep, you give 'em all this 'wonderful' sh*t and all they want is the box. ;)

P.S. I've gained 5 lbs. since Thanksgiving. It's spinach leaves and grilled fish from here on out... uhg.

Maria @BOREDmommy said...

Great Post. Yes the box wins every time! I can't remember how many people I have read talking about losing weight as their New Year's res. Its a popular one, and I'm definitely joining on to the bandwagon - asap! Good Luck!