Sunday, December 13, 2009

My floor got a face-lift.

I need to start by selfishly asking for a favour. If you ever, I repeat EVER, read on this blog that I am thinking about renovating anything, anywhere even remotely near Christmas, could you please send me a virtual slap on the head? Because, you know, clearly I need to be reminded that only an insane person with two kids under the age of 3 would do something this daft.

The new floors only took a week to complete, but all the furniture moving, dust and rubble, staying away from the house, sleeping on mattresses on the floor, etc., made this week-long project feel more like a month.

And now, with all the complaining out of my system, it was worth it. And it was me, after all, who pushed for the floors, who argued my case and convinced J to do it. And also, now, I really, truly appreciate being able to stay at home whenever I want, with my food, my movies, my books, my blankets, my central heating.


The floors have transformed the house. The old gray carpet had endured years of abuse from dog hair, wine spills, food stains, muddy foot prints and crumbs.


The new floors are dark and shiny. They create a feeling of space in the house.


I didn't love my house when we bought it five years ago. I could see the potential, but it needed work. It was dated, boring, and hideously old-fashioned. Now, slowly, we're making it into a home we'll enjoy for years to come.
Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

17 comments:

Heather said...

looks lovely! and so much easier to clean up spills from.

Chic Mama said...

Oh it looks stunning.....yay, all the pain will be forgotten very quickly I'm sure.
Enjoy! X

..... Carmen said...

It looks absolutely stunning! I can't wait to see it in person :)

Midwest Mommy said...

Very nice!!

Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) said...

They turned out absolutely beautiful! Isn't it amazing what a difference they make? I love having wood floors! :)

Very Bored Housewife said...

Wow it looks gorgeous. Worth all the effort.

Theresa Rose said...

OK...I'm so totally jealous. We're renting our house right now so we can't renovate. But I'm totally with you on choosing hardwood over carpet. My kids are sliding all over the place but the cleanup is a breeze

Loukia said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! The pictures look like they're out of a home magazine! I know you went through so much getting them in... especially so close to Christmas... but like you said - SO worth it! ENJOY!!! Yay!

Sparkless said...

Your floor looks lovely! Break out the swiffer cause you are going to need to dust those beautiful floors every day.

Bear and Bones Mama said...

Looks beautiful! What kind of flooring is that? I've asked for new floors for my holiday gift, and I've been looking at flooring samples that look similar to what you have - dark wood. Please share!

Mwa said...

Oh, it does look gorgeous!

liliana said...

The floor looks great!

Amanda said...

It looks fantastic, Sarah. Huge improvement and no doubt well worth the short-term pain. Now you can kick back with a glass of wine every evening and just admire them!

Elaine A. said...

Wow, it looks fantastic and the fact that you endured it and love it makes it even more so! YAY!

P.S. I adore the word "daft" (note to self, use the word "daft" more...)

Lady Mama said...

Heather - thanks. And yes, much easier.

CM - Thank you. :) The pain is fast disappearing from my mind.

Carmen - can't wait for you to see them too.

Midwest Mommy - Thanks. :)

Stacy - Such a difference!

VBH - Thank you. :)

Theresa Rose - Yes the sliding is the only problem. But the cleaning is so easy.

Loukia - thanks! It was so worth it.

Sparkless - Yes, I've been using the swiffer about five times a day.

Bear and Bones Mama - thanks! It's solid oak with a fruit wood stain.

Mwa - Thanks. :)

Lil - Thank you. :)

Amanda - Thanks! Wine and floor gazing!

Elaine - Thanks. And yes the ordeal does make it even more appreciated.

Momma Sunshine said...

The floor looks amazing! I love a wood floor. So warm and inviting. :)

James (SeattleDad) said...

Wow, the result makes it all worth while. Almost, right? Good work.