Monday, December 28, 2009

Turkey curry and other holiday baggage.

If there's one thing I love about leftover turkey, it's leftover turkey curry. The sight of the onions, potatoes and meat turning yellow in the pan and the aroma of the spices literally makes me happy.


(What we ate for dinner last night)

As I was paying for my groceries yesterday, the cashier asked me,
"Do you like Indian food?"
I watched her pass my naan bread, papadums, curry paste, coconut milk and lime pickle over the scanner.
"Um. Yes, of course!" I said. Because, well, duh.
The young girl peered at me curiously.
"I'm English." I explained. My explanation was lost on her.

English people love Indian food. In fact, I think curry is the nation's most popular dish. Or it was when I lived there. Chicken Tikka Massala, to be more specific - a dish originally adapted to English tastes by adding tomato soup to a dry chicken dish, to make it more gravy-ish. The English like their gravies.

Image from spicesofindia.co.uk

The truth is, I could eat curry every single day. I even dream about visiting India, basically so that I could fill myself with delicious spicy food. I like the really hot stuff. The my mouth is filled with a thousand firecrackers and my head is about to explode kind of spicy.

And on the subject of leftovers, the copious chocolates and cookies still loitering around my house are not helping the extra holiday weight situation. So, I'm thinking very hard about purging all the sweet stuff in a couple of days (note how unspecific that is).

What are your favourite holiday leftovers?

Remember Bridget Jones' Mum's turkey curry buffet? Oh I'd so be there!

Image from recipezaar.com


Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

15 comments:

Tammy said...

Okay I wish I knew that because I would have given you the food Sheldon's mom made us a little while ago.. it was even too spicy for him!! We had to tell her to make the "white person version" next time.. haha and I like spicy food!

Lady Mama said...

I'll take it! The spicier the better. :)

Heather said...

I really really miss curry.

wherewiller said...

My husband's birthday is today and any minute now he's going to ask to go for a curry for dinner. I'd prefer Colin Firth. Even in the reindeer sweater.

Bear and Bones Mama said...

Recipe for your dinner last night please! Looks heavenly. We're making turkey enchiladas tonight.

..... Carmen said...

I used to love Turkey and cranberry sandwiches when I was little, after the holidays. Now I love the homemade Turkey soup my Mom always brings over for us :) And I threw out chocolate yesterday... it's true. Today the cookies are going :| I know I won't get away with this much longer once G catches on to what I'm doing. Oh, the gingerbread house has also met the trash :| I'm ruthless.

Lady Mama said...

Heather - I miss all the Indian restaurants in London!

wherewiller - I always want curry on my birthday too. And, I'm sorry to say I don't get the fascination with Coline Firth..!

Bear and Bones Mama - Um.. okay well I hardly ever make curry from scratch (because mine doesn't come close to the restaurant stuff). So the dinner was a paste mix (buy in grocery store) mixed with a coconut milk, served with naan bread, papadums, lime pickles and mango chutney.

Carmen - I love turkey and cranberry sandwiches too.

Karen @ If I Could Escape . . . said...

I actually didn't make turkey curry with this year's leftovers, but I did make curried turkey soup!! Love it!!

All the best to you and yours for 2010!

Lil said...

Love Curry! (but mild very mild).
I also have been getting rid of the chocolate at my house, one mouth full at a time. :)

Loukia said...

Yummy! I love everything about the food over Christmas... we eat a huge Greek feast... lamb... potatoes... salads, rice, etc... and all the cookies... and goodies... mmm... mmm...!!! Happy New Year to you guys!!!! Have a blessed and healthy and fun 2010!!

Metropolitan Mum said...

For us it's been chicken a la king. Only with turkey.

Maria @BOREDmommy said...

Curry and I are not friends, but for Colin Firth, I would eat every damn bit. The man is delish even in his "reindeer jumper!"

Momma Sunshine said...

Heck, I'm Canadian and I love my spicy food. I haven't had a good curry in a while...now you've got me craving it!! Yum! :)

Lady Mama said...

Karen - curried turkey soup - yum! Might have to get that recipe from you.

Lil - I like your style.

Loukia - Your Greek feast sounds wonderful. I adore Greek food.

Met Mum - Yum!

Maria - Really? Even in the silly jumper? Must be true love.

Momma Sunshine - I crave it almost every day! :)

Mocha Dad said...

I've never been to India, but I have eaten some great Indian food in London and Singapore.