Sunday, January 24, 2010

Back to school.

I staggered back home late this afternoon after a very intense first weekend in massage therapy class, loaded with cotton sheets, pillows, oils and text books. My brain, over the last two days, has been stuffed with so much new information - muscles, joints, bones, skin cells, medical terms, techniques - I fear it might implode. It totally could!

But I knew, as I stepped back into the warmth of my home and to the welcoming shouts of "Mama! You been school?" that I'd made the right decision to do this. Plus, I bloody loved it.

I had a good feeling about it from the moment I entered class on Saturday morning. The instructor was great. My classmates were nice. Even the skeleton was friendly, with his ever-toothy grin.

Admittedly, I was scared and nervous about doing this. I didn't know for sure if me and massage would get along. Or if I'd open a textbook and run screaming down the hallway at the sight of a fleshy muscle or a complex medical term.

But really, the only frightening thing about this weekend was when I drove the wrong way down a steep, one-way road leaving university for lunch and met a car coming the other way. The man looked somewhat horrified as we approached each other on the snowy hill. I tried to gesture my apology but I may just have looked like a mad woman waving and driving the wrong way. And then I attempted a three-point turn to get back up the hill the correct way. Ahem.

It was all the snow's fault I tell you. Damn snow.

I've three weeks until my next class, and piles of homework to get through. So, if you don't hear from me, you know why.


Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

12 comments:

CalgaryDaddy said...

Good Luck! It is an adjustment, but worth it! Keep us posted!

Shane

Chic Mama said...

Good for you, glad you enjoyed it. I did something similar a very very long time ago. I found learning the names of muscles difficult, they wouldn't sink in for some reason. Anyway, what an exciting way to spend a couple of days. X

Loukia said...

Yay that you are liking it! I'm so happy for you. Good luck and please don't be a stranger! I so totally miss school sometimes... sigh! Have fun!
P.S. And drive carefully!

Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) said...

Glad to hear you survived your first weekend of classes! Sounds like you made the right decision! Good luck with the homework! ;)

Lil said...

I too have had my incident with a one way..
I am glad you are enjoying your class and if later you need a subject to practice you new massage techniques on let me know. ;)

Mwa said...

I'm so excited for you! Good luck with the homework.

Metropolitan Mum said...

I want to go back to school, too. I need to get out of here.
Let me know if you need a testimonial for your massage practice. I'd happily give you my back.

Midwest Mommy said...

I could see myself doing that on a hill, lol.
Have fun studying!!

Elaine A. said...

I missed you last post but now that I'm caught up I have to say I'm proud of you and can't wait to hear more about your new career. I'm so excited for you!

Be careful on those one-ways though, k? ; )

James (SeattleDad) said...

Good for you! Good luck with the homework.

Sarcastica said...

Snow really is to blame for incidents like that!

Good luck in school! I'll be starting in September *big gulp*

Maria @BOREDmommy said...

SO EXCITING!! Good for you!!GOOD LUCK WITH IT ALL.