Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Bad weather activities 101

Nothing interesting is going on this week. It's cold, the snow is everywhere, and it's cold. Did I mention it's cold?



Too cold to go out for more than a few seconds. Too cold to be bothered with the enormous task of layering children in padded snowsuits and other ridiculous apparel.

The snow is holding me captive in my house. And being in one's house all week with two kids under three is kind of like being marooned on an exotic desert island, except instead of sun, sand and mojitos - crying, poop and Dora the explorer. In Calgary. So not really like a holiday at all.

And so, instead of going out, we've discovered ways to amuse ourselves with as little input from the television as humanly possible. We've been creative. We've been musical (okay I played the piano and sang while the kids glared at me and then leaped on me to stop me). We've been crafty. We've read countless books. We've blown words and notes through cardboard tubes.



And because I'm currently consumed by some kind of strange culinary obsession, I've been baking things I shouldn't because of their fat/sugar/butter content and stirring sauces and whipping up all kinds of things. Some of which are edible.


The 1980s called - they want their cheese straws back.


It's-a not so bad, it's-a nice-a pizza.


Still no clue where my running shoes are. Sob.


Recipes:

Cheese straws - http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Cheese-Straws-241167

Pizza - either make or buy pizza bases (I made very large pizza bases), spread tomato sauce on dough, spread layers of mozzarella, spinach and artichoke on top and bake for about 30 minutes at 425 degrees F. The other pizza had layers of mozzarella, sautéed mushrooms, onions and peperoni.
Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

14 comments:

Midwest Mommy said...

The 10+ inches of snow is suppose to start any time now and go through Friday. We may never leave the house, lol

Captain Dumbass said...

You know what's really great about Calgary? How it's so flat so there's nothing to hide behind when it's cold and windy... Oh wait, that sucks.

Hey, the pizza and cheese straws look great!

Heather said...

same life different country. I have run out of things to do with them. However I am going to bundle the kids in their mitchelin man suits and brave the -27C today because grandma is having them for the day. and if that isn't worth going out for in stupidly cold weather, nothing is.

Mwa said...

I'm bored too even though it's only just about below freezing here. I have a temporary reprieve just now with the TV, but soon it will be back to books and jigsaws. You're doing well!

Maternal Tales said...

Thanks for all the tips sweetie - although have no food or resources int he house at the mo to keep us going! Not good at all. Have tagged you over at mine in the favourite photo meme. Hope you can play x

LZ @ My Messy Paradise said...

Brrr. That's pretty cold!
I am so going to try those cheese straws - yum!

Hot Cross Mum said...

It's almost that cold in my house at the moment as the heating is bust! Love the pizza - looks yum. I too have been house/snow bound with the boys for the guts of a week. Time to get crafting me-thinks!

Lady Mama said...

Midwest Mommy - 10 inches? So not fun. Summer come back.

Captain Dumbass - It's true and it does get windy here. Bah.

Heather - I'll pay you to swap. The whole day? Bliss!

Mwa - yes sometimes, after we've exhausted every other possibility (and I need some quiet) the TV goes on.

Maternal Tales - Stay warm! x

LZ - The straws are actually really good.

Hot Cross Mum - Oh no, hope it gets fixed soon!

Metropolitan Mum said...

'crying, poop and Dora the explorer. In Calgary.' Hahaha. If you ever thought about opening your a travel agency: don't do it!

Love the weather forecast. -17? Bummer, that's cold. But hey! Only a few clouds!!! *sings and claps her hands* always look on the bright side of life. La-la. La-la. La-la-la-la-la.

Kate Coveny Hood said...

We have our own version of cold in DC. Nothing in comparison, but we're used to milder weather - so it's kicking our asses anyway.

I have thee kids, four and under, trapped inside with the cold AND pink eye. So I feel your pain.

And in about five minutes I get to torture them again with the alien abduction-like process of applying their eye gel. Good times.

Lady Mama said...

Met Mum - Yes I wouldn't be a very food travel agent huh? Hehe. Thank you for the positivity!

Kate - Oh noooo not pink eye! Ugh, hope it goes away quick.

Nap Warden said...

Yeah...I could totally do without the weather around here as well. I could also go for some pizza:P

Canadian Bald Guy said...

It's only -17? I mean, that's cold and all...but surely that's not nearly as bad as it could be.

Just give it a month...

Chic Mama said...

Those pizzas look delicious. Shame I don't have the ingredients here as we are stranded at the moment. Unbelievable eh? In the UK!!