Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Happy first birthday sweet boy

Oliver, there aren't adequate words to describe the way you are, or the way I love you. One year ago today, you materialized, bubbly, bright, alert - already searching the world for clues with your big, curious eyes.

From this tiny being, you've emerged - a playful, cheeky and extraordinarily determined soul. I genuinely cannot wait to see the person - the boy, man, you'll become.

You still love to be held in my arms, and now Daddy's too. Occasionally beside me in bed, snuggled close when sleep won't come. I wish there were more minutes in the day to simply hold you.

I've sat with you countless evenings, waiting for you to fall asleep, watching your face. God I love to watch your face. The way your features gracefully balance against each other and become so peaceful as you drift off.

Few things make my heart as happy as when I watch you and your brother figuring each other out. It doesn't always go smoothly of course, but sometimes, in a fleeting moment, you catch each others' eye and giggle, or he'll bend to kiss you, or you'll reach to touch his face.

I could never have imagined you.

I love you. Always.



Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

13 comments:

Dr Mom said...

that is so sweet! you brought tears to my eyes. that's exactly how i feel about my 16 month old daughter & i can't wait to have another to see their interactions. i sometimes worry that i'm spoiling her with all the hugging, cuddling, letting her co-sleep, but then i think that i will never have today with her again, so who cares if she's spoiled! i'm going to enjoy every minute i can with her :)

oliver is adorable & you are a great mama!

LZ @ My Messy Paradise said...

So sweet!
I could watch my daughters sleep for hours - I know what you mean.
Happy Birthday!

..... Carmen said...

Happy Birthday Oli! Thinking about you today :)

Kate Coveny Hood said...

He's beautiful! Happy birthday little guy!

Chic Mama said...

Oh there is something special about first birthdays,what a beautiful Happy Birthday to your little boy. I hope he's had a wonderful day

Jules said...

That is a gorgeous picture....I love one year old!

Lil said...

Hope Oli had a great Birthday! Your words truly describe the joys of being a mother!

James (SeattleDad) said...

Happy Birthday Oliver. It's always fun to get the first one under your belt.

Very nice post, Lady Mama.

Elaine A. said...

Happy Birthday to him! He's gorgeous and so are your words.

Captain Dumbass said...

Happy Birthday, Oliver.

wherewiller said...

Happy, happy birthday!

Loukia said...

He is so beautiful! Happy, happy (belated) birthday to your darling little boy!

MommaKiss said...

1 year old. Sigh.