Saturday, January 2, 2010

My kind of balance.

The problem with consecutive days of indulging is that when you try to stop, you enter a horrid period of withdrawal. I spent most of December feasting on cookies, chocolates and cheese. And now? Every day without fail by about two in the afternoon I begin hunting around for something - anything sweet to nibble on.

Which explains why last night, when, after dinner, there were no desserts in the house, I began making crepes at around 9:30 pm. Because my sweet was tooth rearing its head.

And why, this afternoon at around 2 pm. I made a batch of chocolate chip cookies.

But you see, it's all about balance.

We went for a long walk with the kids...


Therefore I needed the cookies to replenish the calories I burned marching through the snow in the freezing weather.

I made a healthy bean salad to go with dinner...


Therefore I decided to make some delicious bread as well. I used my bread machine to form dough for ciabatta loaves and turned these...

..into these.


..which we dipped in olive oil and balsamic vinegar as an appetizer.

I have a feeling I'll be talking more about food on my blog this year. The good stuff - the simple, healthy, home-made, organic, nutritious stuff. And the bad - the sugary, carb-filled, yummy stuff. Because that's the kind of balance I like.

Now where the hell are my running shoes?

~

Recipes

Bean salad
: chop tomatoes, onion and cilantro and combine with
chick peas,
black beans and corn, add olive oil, lime juice and a dash of cumin.

Ciabatta loaves: Add 1.5 cups water, 1.5 tsp salt, 1 tbs, 1tsp sugar,
1 tbsp olive oil, 3.25 cups flour, 1.5 tsp yeast to bread machine.
Make dough, remove to surface, let rise for 15 minutes.
Divide into two ovals. Make indents in dough with floury fingers.
Let sit for 40 minutes. Bake at 425 degrees F for 25 minutes.
(Recipe from 250 Best Canadian Bread Machine Baking Recipes)

Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

6 comments:

..... Carmen said...

This post made me hungry. The past two days I've made cinnamon buns as well as gingersnap cookies. Perhaps I shouldn't have purged my sweets from Christmas so quickly... seems like all I'm doing is slowly replacing them.

Tammy said...

Thanks for the bean salad recipe at the bottom!!! I saw the pick and thought "I have to ask her for it" and then there it was!!! :)

Heather said...

Balance is a wonderful thing, but something so difficult to achieve after a month of indulgence.

That bread does look delicious, might be giving that one a try.

Chic Mama said...

I think we were separated at birth....I can't believe that my stomach rumbles a couple of hours after a huge feast. That's it, tomorrow its back to cutting down. Funny I bought some 'ready made'bean salad from M & S yesterday...for Monday hehe. x

Lady Mama said...

Carmen - Same here. Except we didn't purge ours - we ate them. Oops.

Tammy - You're welcome.

Heather - Yes balance sounds good in theory doesn't it. The bread is very good.

Chic Mama - Haha. I'm SO cutting back from tomorrow too! ;)

Andrea (ace1028) said...

Oh, I SO know where you're coming from. I still have some treats laying around the house that I'm trying to avoid. I hear you.

Just adding myself now as a new follower. Looking forward to reading more and learning about you!