Thursday, January 28, 2010

Sometimes Mummy is very honest.

I'm watching the Mighty Machines movie with my toddler. The scene shows trucks and diggers moving around a construction site. Rubble is being removed and materials delivered.

The narrator speaks in that gruff/gravelly/macho voice they do on Mighty Machines.

"This is a construction site!"

"Con-truc-sion site." Matthew repeats studiously. This is serious stuff.

"These construction vehicles are helping to prepare the site for a new building. A hospital is going to be built here!"

"Hop-sital."

"Soon, people will come to the hospital to get better!"

"Or, die..." I say out loud, not thinking.

"Or die." Matthew repeats nonchalantly.

Oh.... Uh....


Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

11 comments:

Nap Warden said...

D'oh!

Mwa said...

You better watch out with that - I had a whole year of a death-obsessed four-to-five year old.
"See you later!"
"Unless you're dead!"
Charming.

Sarah said...

Just think of it as one of those convenient times when toddlers don't really understand death. But I'm sure he'll remember to bring it up to the old lady at the grocery store sometime soon. As in, "You could go to the hopsital to die."

Gulp.

No matter what, honesty is best. So it's best to start EARLY. :)

randomblogette said...

I find myself making comments all of the time and not realizing that my daughter would even hear what I say and she always does. She has actually been very obsessed with death since Michael Jackson died. Strange, I know.

James (SeattleDad) said...

Ha! I find my filter is off more than I would like too. We are still relatively new at this I guess.

Lady Mama said...

Nap Warden - yep.

Mwa - Nice! Dreading that...

Sarah - Oh I can just see that happening...

randomblogette - my toddler is picking up everything, so I should know better.

James - I feel totally new to it still... must switch on filter...

Amanda said...

I can just picture that. Thanks for the giggle!

I've been wondering at what age I need to switch off the radio when the news is on?? Some days it's the only thing that keeps me sane (a rational adult voice, even if it's coming across the airwaves), but obviously the content isn't suitable once he can understand... but can he?? I dunno!

Elaine A. said...

Way to sugar-coat it Momma! ;)

..... Carmen said...

That is right up there with me wanting to tell G an egg is an unborn chicken - lol.

Lady Mama said...

Amanda - I wonder that too. And recently am learning that Matthew picks up on way more than I realize.

Elaine A. - Ya I'm good at sugar coating. ;)

Carmen - that story made me laugh.

Nick the neighbour said...

I'm more alarmed that you were actually watching Mighty Machines WITH him. Wow.