Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Things I ought to know by now...

Like any new mother I made lots of mistakes after my first son was born. Small things: forgetting to take out smelly diapers; forgetting hats and mitts on cold days; making a bottle too warm. Etc., etc. I'd tell myself it was okay, because in a few years I'd be a seasoned mum and would no longer make those mistakes.

Yahahaha.

A few years later? Yeah. Still making mistakes. The small kind. The big kind. The kind that make me want to kick myself in the shin (which isn't as easy as you might think unless you're very flexible).

So. Things I learned this week:

- Never buy lace-up shoes for a baby. Because you'll spend the entire day tying and untying laces. And in the end they'll only fall off and be found two days later under the sofa.

- Never leave a toddler alone in a room with a table of paints and a bowl of blueberries. Because when you return - even if it's only been a few minutes - said paint and fruit will be smeared all over your toddler, his clothes, his brother and the table. And maybe the dog. And then you will have to stifle a scream of exasperation.

- Never do the above when your husband is going to be out the same evening, as you'll be left to handle the horror of the dual bath alone. Shudder.

- Never pick a night when you're on your own to cook a dinner that takes two hours to prepare and uses every pot, pan and utensil in your kitchen. Because you'll have to clear everything up yourself afterward.

- Never show your toddler how to switch the TV on using the remote control. I'll let you fill in the blanks.

- Never leave a stroller out in the snow for three days in a row.

What was I thinking? No idea. Probably about lying on a beach somewhere...

Talking of dinner, I made OHMommy's pierogi for dinner tonight. And though they did take a little while to prepare, they were good. I served them with sautéed onions and crumbled bacon bits sprinkled on top and sour cream on the side.

Yummy.


Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

9 comments:

Mwa said...

I think you never stop making the mistakes. You just have to hope you don't make the awful kind.

Brit in Bosnia / Fraught Mummy said...

At least you are learning from the mistakes... I have a tendency to repeat them which is just annoying!

Karen said...

Even when you are a grandmother and your children are in their 30's you make mistakes - you just hope that you have shown your children that judging harshly is not a good thing - and that none of your mistakes causes something permanent to happen. However, some of that happens too - it is life in all its mystery.

Angie Muresan said...

That's how life is. Besides your mistakes are easily forgivable... with the exception of leaving the baby out in the snow for 3 days. WHAT were you thinking??? ;)

Elaine A. said...

Looks like it was all worth it for those num nums though! Come make some for me. I'll take care of the kids while you cook... :)

Tammy said...

I was looking for the pic! Yumm... next time let me know when you make these and I'll be over.. I'll bring drinks or something that I can handle.. :)

Sarah said...

News Flash: the mistakes will keep on coming. No matter what you try to do. (At least, that's what I tell myself...and I get a lot of sympathy for my own mistakes from our readers at Momalom...makes me feel like all the stupid crap I do is pretty normal. So Hallelujah for that!)

In fact, I would say, that the addition of each child decreases memory and ability exponentially. And while you would think that the older you get, the easier it gets? Not so very much--from my experience, that is.

Phew! Sorry for this looong comment. This is a subject that gets a lot of time and words in our neck of the woods.

Kate Coveny Hood said...

I've made those same mistakes AND I made that same recipe! The recipe was fantastic - the mistakes, not so much...

handmade charlotte said...

i grew up with these! my mother is lithuanian! yummy!