Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Time for a change: from pen and ink to hands and oils.

I think it was while I was working late one night, scrutinizing a design proof for a client for the hundredth time under my desk lamp, checking all the seven-digit figures were in the right columns, that I suddenly thought to myself, what the f*ck am I doing here? Realization struck me like the strangled whine of an angry client, I was in the wrong job.

I've spent ten years working in design, advertising and communications. It's been absolutely amazing. And when I say amazing, I mean I could probably fill a blog with the number of experiences - fantastic ones and terrible ones - I've had.

And now it's time to do something else.

I'm a firm believer in doing what you love. Or, if not love, at least enjoy. Or if not enjoy, at least vaguely like. Or at the very least not doing a job that makes you want to hurl in the nearest garbage bin or put your fist through your computer screen the minute you walk in the office. And believe me - I've had jobs like that.



So, I'm taking the plunge.

I'm going back to school to study massage therapy.

For months - no, years, I've been trying to figure out what I could do that would allow me to help people directly, to do something more meaningful than simply help wealthy companies become wealthier.

It feels like jumping off the comfortable, familiar ledge, hoping the rocks below don't kill me.

But I am so, so excited and happy about it. And a bit nervous.

So if the rocks at the bottom kill me, at least I'll die happy.

My first classes are this weekend. Which means I'll spend the entire weekend in a classroom, learning about anatomy, and muscle structure and other things I've never even dreamed of.

I can't wait.
Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

17 comments:

Heather said...

oh my, that is exciting! Just the thought of learning new stuff gets me all excited these days. Have a great time.

Mwa said...

Wow! Huge! Wow.

Loukia said...

Congratulations! Very exciting, and very brave of you to take such a plunge - at this point in our lives - married, with kids - it's not often we are brave like that to do what WE really want, you know? BRAVO to you. Also, how far away from me are you, and will you be at BlogHer? I'd love to get a masage from you!!!! ;) Yay you.
I don't love my job, but for now, the pay is great, the hours are flexible, in the sense that I can get here at like, 9 and leave at 4, take my 1 hour lunch, etc... Federal gov't is good like that! ;)

Jules said...

Good for you...have fun.

Maria @BOREDmommy said...

Good for you!!! I'll be cheering you on. I wish you all the best in this new path!! GOOD LUCK!!

SnafflesMummy said...

Good for you, I hope it makes you happy.
For months now I have known that its my job making me so unhappy. Just finding the courage (and money) to take a similar leap and turn my life around.

Bear and Bones Mama said...

That's awesome!!! I'm so happy for you!

Lady Mama said...

Thanks so much everyone! I appreciate the support.

Loukia - haha, you'll have to get in line. I've a list of people asking to be guinea pigs. :)

Jennyre said...

You are my hero! Great plan. I'm proud of you. It takes great courage and self respect to take such a leap - I love the line about wanting "...to do something more meaningful than simply help wealthy companies become wealthier"... Now, quick, tell me what an anterior deltoid is!

Lady Mama said...

Thanks Jenny! Um... I'll let you know what that is just as soon as I google... oh! right! Still no clue. Mabye in a few months...

Nap Warden said...

Wow...good for you!

wherewiller said...

Big step - brave! Congratulations and good luck!!

James (SeattleDad) said...

Wow. Big Kudos to you for pursuing something you WANT to do. Good luck and I look forward to reading all about it.

Swankgurl said...

Good for you! What an amazing leap you have taken. Very brave indeed. I think it's so important to listen to yourself and that little voice inside. Sometimes what we see ourselves doing in your younger years changes once we settle into our lives and truly start to evolve. Have fun this weekend :)

Kate Coveny Hood said...

Good for you! I love to hear stories about people throwing caution to follow their dreams. I'd love to do the same. Now I just have to figure out what that would be...

..... Carmen said...

Thinking of you today - can't wait to hear how J does with the boys and how your course goes!

Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) said...

Good for you! I'm looking forward to reading all about your awesome progress! :)