Friday, February 5, 2010

How dare you eat my chicken!

In a last-ditch attempt to convince my toddler to eat the rest of his dinner, I picked up a piece of chicken from his plate and ate it, exclaiming "Mmmm! Yumm!". It's a trick I've used many times to demonstrate that he's missing out on something good. Usually it works.

Not this time. I watched his eyes widen and his face become completely aghast at my maneuver. Then the breaking loose of hell.

"NO mama! No eat my CHICKEEEEEN!"

"I'm sorry honey!" I said, realizing my plan had taken a head dive.

"Give it BACK mama!" He demanded, approaching me and motioning for me to remove the chicken from my mouth. Unfortunately it was long gone. Gulp.

"Um..." I tried to discreetly pull another piece from his plate and pretended to make it appear from my mouth.

This just made things worse.

"No! Not dat chicken! Dat chicken!" He said pointing at my mouth. "Give back!"

Flip. Mummy Fail.

"I'm sorry honey, it's gone." I said and then, moving on quickly, "Let's sit down and eat some more dinner now."

"Noooooo!"

"Let's have some broccoli instead!"

"NO!"

"I know! Let's have some corn!"

"NO!"

"Toast with peanut butter?" (grasping at straws)

Shaking head.

"A muffin?"

Death stare.

"I know! Let's have some ice cream!"

"Okay." He said, suddenly over his outrage, climbed back up to the table and waited patiently for his dessert.

Lesson: never eat toddler's food. Ever again. Crikey.
Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

5 comments:

James (SeattleDad) said...

It was all just a ploy to get ice cream. The boy is obviously a genious.

Metropolitan Mum said...

Bad mummy, bad mummy! ;-)

Mwa said...

I've done worse than that. :-) It's a good life lesson.

Kate Coveny Hood said...

This reads like a transcript from my house. Every single one of those things has happened to me.

gringationcancun said...

Ha! hilarious. Reminds me of the friends episode... "Joey doesn't share food!"