Wednesday, February 17, 2010

No such thing as a Benylin Day for parents.

When you get a cold, a dose of flu, or a stomach bug, you should go to bed, get as much sleep as possible, drink plenty of fluids and generally rest.

It's like that TV ad says... take a Benylin day!



See? That woman - she's getting ready for work. Uh-oh, she's not feeling too well. She tries to dress... nope, nope, it's not going to work. She's too ill. Eventually she slinks back into the warmth of her comfy bed and stays there for the day to recover.

I watched this ad and honestly, all I could think was... it would be so nice to have a cold and just curl up in bed for the day dosed up to the eyeballs with cold medication, with that mildly ill feeling that renders you so drowsy you sink into the pillow and sleep for hours and hours, and wake for short periods to watch TV and read magazines and eat the cakes and chicken soup that are delivered to you.

You know?

Unfortunately, there is no Benylin day for parents. Sob.

If there was a TV ad for cold medication for parents, it would show a mum coughing and wiping her nose with whatever is in her pocket while wrestling her kids into their carseats and simultaneously attempting to sanitize everything within reach.

Unfortunately parents aren't tucked up in bed with the luxury of recovering in peace. Just getting on with life and hoping, really hoping it goes away, fast.

It's why I dread getting a cold these days. And why I'm sitting here right at this moment under a blanket with a cup of tea, crossing my fingers and toes that this tickle in the back of my throat is just a fleeting irritation. Ugh.
Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

18 comments:

Elaine A. said...

Wishing for a cold. I love it. Damn, staying in bed for a day or two does some pretty awesome. Pass me some germs, k? ;)

Lil said...

Its true, you cannot take a sick day from being a parent.

Captain Dumbass said...

My wife is treating me and the boys like zombies this week. She doesn't want whatever we're spreading.

Heather said...

so true and so unfair! i miss proper sick days.

Abby said...

My name is Abby and I work for a PR agency. I'd like to talk to you about a possible review which includes a freebie for you! Do you have an email I can reach you on please? Thank you. (abbymils@cubaneight.com)

The Tompkins Family said...

I wish the last time I had a cold pre-baby that I would've enjoyed the lazing around just a bit more! And remember hangover days? HA! Such a luxury to eat greasy foods all day and watch bad movies!

Diney said...

I'm just sneezing away tonight and starting to feel 'the symptoms' so I know your dread....especially at half term! No time for sickies!

Midwest Mommy said...

I dearly miss those sick days. Why did I never use them all up!!!

Maria @BOREDmommy said...

I am so there with you -- I'm sick right now too, but I don't talk about it because it only reminds me of the fact that I don't get those days off anymore. (Somehow the husband still does, but that's a whole other story, isn't it).
FEEL BETTER!

Hot Cross Mum said...

Oh you're so right. No duvet days, no boss to phone up and pretend to be really unwell - we just have to get up and get on with it, regardless. We're bloody marvellous really, aren't we?!!

Metropolitan Mum said...

Put away your tissues, dry your tears and swallow whatever medicine rocks your boat (no, not the prozac again!) - you have been tagged to play along "what's in your bag'. Yay!
(It's the small things, right?!)

Kate Coveny Hood said...

I remember the very first time I was really sick and still had to take care of a baby. Now THAT'S a slap in the face. I've always said that "sick days" are the biggest perk of being a working mom. Sadly - stay at home moms and moms on maternity leave do not get to spend the day in bed sleeping and watching Netflix on demand. It's just wrong.

Mwa said...

After morning sickness and various bugs in the last couple of months, I am keeping my fingers crossed for you as well. It's too difficult being sick with children!

James (SeattleDad) said...

I hear you on this one. I wish there was a pass we could get when we had a bad day, much less a cold, or strep.

Unfortunately, doesn't happen.

Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) said...

We definitely don't get sick days. Which sucks. Hubby, on the other hand, will not only take a sick day, but he'll end up sleeping the day away. When I'm sick? I still do everything I normally do, because it won't get done. *sigh*

Kim said...

It will get better as your kids get older! Promise! :)

Kim said...

It will get better as your kids get older! Promise! :)

Nocturnal Queen said...

Being a mom, sick days are a distant memory. I too miss being able to stay in bed all day and actually get the rest I need when I'm sick.