Sunday, February 21, 2010

Spring trends for a thirty-something mum.

I realize there are some mums who can pull off the cutting edge trends I read about in magazines - the kind of outfits better suited to fashion fairs than grocery stores. But I'm not one of them.

The me that used to frequently swap cash for fashion and spend ages putting myself together, now spends forty five seconds yanking miscellaneous things from my wardrobe and hoping they look vaguely presentable. I used to like to think I was like Kate Moss - edgy, trendy, eclectic. Now I like to think I'm like Audrey Hepburn - classic, timeless, stylish.

Ahem.

But still, I can dream.


Spring trends I can't pull off.


Bold prints...
Carrie Bradshaw may be able to pull off peacocks and polka dots and hyacinth prints, but I suspect I'd look more like I had fallen in a vat of finger paints if I attempted anything like this.




Short shorts...
Because I am not fifteen. And I have two kids.


Denim shirt...

I love my denim jeans - a person can never have too many. But denim shirts? The line dancers would be bringing me in with their lassos.


Jodhpurs...
I'm sorry, there are no horses in my paddock presently.



Spring trends I can pull off.

Bright colours...
After a winter of grey and black, I'm ready for colour. Insects will swarm to me like moths to a flame, people will shield their eyes and squint, but still I will insist on wearing yellow. It's my fav.



Shoes...
Flats are in. Yeah! See, I told you I was like Audrey Hepburn!




Accessories...
Floaty scarves in neutrals and silvers. I have too many but I need more.

Earrings...
New earrings do it for me. Seriously. Like these lovelies.


Earrings from robertachiarella.com


What are your Spring must haves? (or must nots?)


Photo credits: searlenyc.com, fashionfame.com, bananarepublic.gap.com, gap.com, instyle.com, marieclaire.com, topshop.com

Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

14 comments:

Mwa said...

You know, bold prints are GREAT if you just team them with some more monochrome things. You should try one or two pieces - they always cheer me up.

I can't wear flat shoes (well, I do, but...) because they make me self-conscious about my ankles. Heels make me feel pretty.

Heather said...

Those top four make me want to crawl back under my duvet and pretend the world doesn't exist!

If I Could Escape . . . said...

I love yellow too! Do have Target up there -- they have a fab yellow and white striped mac for sale that I want!!! Great post!

Lady Mama said...

Mwa - if I can summon the courage I will... one day!

Heather - I know what you mean, but I prefer to laugh at them. Because really, how many real people can wear these things??

Karen - I wish we had a Target! I've heard they're coming to Canada...

Canadian Bald Guy said...

Y'know, those spring trends that you can't pull off really aren't that attractive. At all.

You're much better off.

Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) said...

The Canadian Bald Guy said it all! :) You are much better off. ;)

Tara said...

You're not missing out. No one should wear denim shirts and trousers. Really. For Spring, I love dresses, long shirts, and leggings. And of course scarves. Long knit scarves are totally in. You should try them.

Captain Dumbass said...

My Spring must haves are antihistamines.

Loukia said...

I was looking through my cloest yesterday, and I realized that I have next to NO clothes with patterns on them. I am into solids, all the time! LOL! And short shorts? Puh-lease. Not in this lifetime!
My spring must-haves? Not sure. But anything from Banana or Club or J.Crew. My 3 favourite stores ever! Flats for sure. Flip flops. Pretty t-shirts. I can't wait for spring and summer! Great post!

Elaine A. said...

I think the last time I was short shorts I was like 8.

I'm ALL about the flats baby! Happy Spring! :)

Metropolitan Mum said...

I urgently need wedges (to break my legs while stumbling along the crooked London pavements), a DVF wrap dress (hey, they say you need to INVEST, not just spend your money, plus I think it will just grow with me) and a new bikini. AFter that I shall be broke.

Kate Coveny Hood said...

I don't do shorts anymore. The hereditary knee pudge caught up with me a while ago and no matter how much weight I lose, that just never goes away (damn dominant chub genes).

I love tops - really pretty semi-dressy tops with jeans is a staple look for me. I've found my favorites at Anthropologie - but Target and Old Navy always have some cheaper versions that still look pretty good.

If I had money to spend I'd spend a lot at J. Crew. Their last few seasons have made me a true believer.

I also want a great cuff bracelet.

God I'm looking forward to warm weather. I've gotten into a very boring "big warm sweater" slump.

Cindy said...

Spring must haves include cool flats, a new dress, usually a-line cut with an empire waist and a pedicure

Young Yoga Masters said...

I'm with you on the earings. I got two new pairs - on sale - last weekend. Wardrobe updated!