Tuesday, February 9, 2010

They're kids, not idiots...

I have this great little book of piano music to play and sing to with the kids. The songs are about all the things young kids like - dinosaurs, elephants, firetrucks, puppies, teddies, bubbles, housework....

Wait... what?

Housework...

A song about housework, discreetly lodged between flying bears and puppets. The writer obviously snuck it in there thinking it would be good for parents.

It goes:

Let's clean the floor

Polish up the floor

Why should the grown-ups have all the fun?

Let's clean the floor

Polish up the floor

When the children do the dusting then the job's soon done!


I sung the song to my toddler with as much enthusiasm as I could muster, all the while trying to resist the urge to snicker out loud.

He stared at me with the stoical expression of someone who'd been offered a brussel sprout instead of a piece of cheesecake.

Then. "Mama, do dinosaur song again?"

He may be only two and a half, but he can detect the scent of trickery from miles away.





Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

10 comments:

Loukia said...

Heehee... that's so funny! And you have one smart little boy!

CalgaryDaddy said...

lol....kids are pretty smart!

Shane
www.calgarydaddy.com

Bear and Bones Mama said...

Both of my boys like to vacuum. Ok, well, I make them vacuum and then they can take the tubes apart and they become guns. I don't like the guns but everything becomes a gun. They do dig vacuuming tho.

Mwa said...

Yeah... We have a tidying song from creche/school. It only works on stupid kids, I think.

Captain Dumbass said...

Because I have two boys and everything is a competition, I try to turn everything into a race. Sadly, they're starting to see through this.

James (SeattleDad) said...

Lukas loves housework. I am about to turn it all over to him.

Lady Mama said...

Loukia - he is pretty smart. Dammit.

CalgaryDaddy - they are!

Bear and Bones Mama - Ah the gun connection - I can see that working.

Mwa - My toddler isn't a fan of the clean up song either.

Captain Dumbass - You can only get away with that for so long before they catch on...

James - Loves housework? How did you manage it?!

Elaine A. said...

Keep trying, just like brussel sprouts, if you feed it to him over and over again maybe he'll....
Ah, forget it.... he's TOO smart! ;)

Maria @BOREDmommy said...

Very cute and smart of him.

Daddy Geek Boy said...

Yeah, mine didn't go for the diddy about broccoli.