Friday, March 26, 2010

Child for a day.

As I watched my toddler dangling a fork of spaghetti above his mouth as though he were a fire-eater, I imagined what it must be like to be a child (because I'm too old to actually remember). To never have to worry about things like money, health, responsibilities; to react on impulse to everything without fear of consequence; to live with your emotions out front instead of guarded and controlled.

It's such an amazing time, being a kid. We start out as these reckless beings, just figuring out how to exist in the world, and because we're young and innocent, we're forgiven many mistakes, because they're just a part of our education.

And then, somewhere along the way, we become more and more constrained as the rules of life push against us and restrict us further and further until we're these formal, anonymous people, avoiding each other's eye contact in a doctor's waiting room.

But imagine if, for just a day, you could behave like a kid again. What would you do?

I would..

I would go to one of those indoor playgrounds and throw myself in the ball pit. And maybe just roll around there for a bit. Or, better, find a bouncy castle and jump around for thirty minutes.

I'd scream if I stubbed my toe or caught my finger in a door, instead of holding my emotions in and pretending I was okay. And then, I'd feel sorry for myself for at least ten minutes afterward.

I'd go to the grocery store, and instead of shopping according to my list, I'd whiz around, flinging everything I really wanted into the cart: olives, cheese, donuts, candies, bottles of pop, magazines. Maybe cackling along the way too. And at the till, instead of engaging in small talk about the weather with the cashier, I'd shake my head petulantly and refuse to talk, because I didn't feel like talking about the weather.

I'd skip along the sidewalk, singing, instead of walking conservatively and trying not to make eye contact with strangers passing by.

I'd blurt out whatever was on my mind, the minute it occurred to me.

I'd drop everything in the middle of the day and declare I don't feel like doing this anymore, and go lie down on my bed with my blanket and a book.

I'd eat pudding with my hands. In fact, I'd eat everything with my hands.


Oh imagine the fun you could have if you were a child again... if only for a day.
Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

19 comments:

Jana@Attitude Adjustment said...

I'd sleep and read. Then sleep and read some more. I have no interest in playing, and maybe not even reading. Just sleeping. Sleeping while no one bothers me.

Jules said...

I would take a nap whenever I was told to...

Miz Dinah said...

We're not supposed to eat with our hands? I didn't get that memo...

Kassie said...

I remember jumping rope the entire recess. I would do that again to see if I really could jump rope for 30 minutes straight without dying.

Lisa said...

LOVE this post! I always think about what it would be like to be a kid again too so this post really got my attention. If I was a kid again for a day, I would:
1. swing as high as possible on the swings (seems to make me nauseous now, but back then, it was one of my favorite things to do )
2. play "house" or Barbies (hard to imagine how we used to spend countless hours doing this every week, but I'd love to try it again)
3. beg mommy and daddy to play with me (nothing was better than them taking the time to play a game or do a craft with me)

Nikosmommy said...

I'd nap everyday (by choice, not cuz my mom told me to), I'd eat mac and cheese or pizza EVERY day. I'd ride my bike around the neighborhood till it was dark out...

sarah said...

I would run around barefoot all night during the summer time, sticky with popscicle and smelling like kid sweat and the wind.

Swankgurl said...

I would...

...have a nap.

Be pushed around the mall in a comfy stroller.

Be driven everywhere while listening to my favourite music.

Run around acting nuts and get away with it because I'm cute.

Have someone draw me a bubble bath with fun toys.

Be able to be emotional and cry without strange looks from people.

Chic Mama said...

Funny, I really don't know.
it would be lovely to be innocent and not worry about things I suppose.
I have tagged you at mine if you fancy it. x

James (SeattleDad) said...

I think I would be having so much fun I would forget that I had to hold my pee, wet myself, and go on playing like it didn't make any difference.

Great post!

dodi-dodi said...

I wrote a blog post in response to yours!

http://slightlyaubergine.blogspot.com/2010/03/one-more-day-as-child.html

Thanks for the inspiration!

LisaDay said...

The balls. I love the balls. And if I was a kid, I wouldn't have to worry that this activity is one of the most germy locations you can send your kids.

LisaDay

gringationcancun said...

I'd make a cool fort with furniture and blankets.

I wouldn't worry about urine in the ball pits... so gross.

I miss swings, too.

Kristy said...

I would wear footy pajamas all day, watch my favorite movies, eat chicken nuggets and mac n cheese without worrying about calories, and take a long nap. But I would poop in the potty unlike other babies I know.

Elaine A. said...

oooh yes, love the laying down with a blanket and book one. I would totally do that too!

I would also take lots of bubble baths! :)

Captain Dumbass said...

I like the dropping everything in the middle of the day bit. Wish I could do that.

Heather said...

oh definitely! and I'd lie down on the floor all the time to just look up - in supermarkets, on streets and waiting rooms. I'd skid down long polished corridors on my knees and smile at everybody i walk or skipped past.

Just thinking about it has cheered me up so much I might go and do it all anyway!

LisaDay said...

Got me with your April Fool post. Twice, I might add.

LisaDay

diney said...

I would sit in the supermarket trolley whilst someone pushed me round and I would pick all the things I wanted off the shelves - chocolate,ice cream,jelly babies, jam doughnuts....and cry loudly if I wasn't allowed to have them. Great idea!