Sunday, March 21, 2010

Just keep swimming.

Three quarters of the way through my labour with Oliver, I turned to Jesse and between contractions told him I can't do this any more.

But of course I did, because there was no alternative.

Sometimes it's like that in life, I think. Not quite as dramatic as giving birth, but more like a great big sigh at all the chores that replenish themselves daily.

But you keep going, going, going... because there's no alternative.

Sometimes I'm amazed that I just keep going. Aren't you?

I keep on taking laundry, and folding it, and putting it in people's drawers, every single day.

I keep on clearing plates, loading the dishwasher, unloading it, washing dishes that need to be washed by hand.

I keep on lying on the floor in an awkward face-down position so that I can reach under the sofa to pull out toys that will otherwise be forever lost under clusters of dust and dog hair.

I keep on cooking food for everyone (it's not always healthy food, and sometimes it's fast food from a fast food place, but whatever, it's always there).

I keep on doing all these simple things that go unnoticed but which keep the the household functioning.

And it's time spent performing ordinary tasks - not hours spent writing a business report that will later be seen and praised by my boss. They won't earn me a rise, or a promotion, or anything. Simply the right to carry on and do the same thing tomorrow.

But they're important, these things I do. They keep the invisible machine running.

And therefore I have decided that I am freaking awesome. Because I keep going, doing the mundane, boring things that need to be done.

And therefore, you are freaking awesome too.

You keep on going, all the time, doing things that sometimes you'd rather stick your head in the toilet and flush the chain than do. But you do them all the same.

Your awesomeness deserves more recognition.

That is all.
Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

23 comments:

Megan said...

What a fabulous post..... so true to life.

Cheers to you...and my other fabulous sisters in Blog land.... for doing life when we'd rather not.

Megan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kassie said...

what a great post! Very true, you are awesome :)

James (SeattleDad) said...

Ha. You are spot on!

And I am feeling particularly Awesome tonight. Sunday night does that to me.

Great stuff.

Dr Mom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dr Mom said...

i so much agree. your post brought a smile to my face. us moms rock!

Brit in Bosnia / Fraught Mummy said...

I've always said that one of the hardest thing about transition from career girl to mother was the loss of lack of recognition and concrete attainments. I tidy the house, 10 minutes later a bomb hits it. I cook, wash up, and a few hours later have to do it all over again. Most of my day is spent trying to get everyone back to the state which we started, ie. clean, not hungry and asleep.

Your post made me smile, we do do a great job. Unrecognised, but great. x

Mwa said...

Great post! You are freaking awesome! And thank you for telling me the same. xx

Christine said...

That's what makes us moms I suppose, the willingness to keep at the mundane because we have to. Don't just wish though that you could throw it all to the wind and rebel sometimes. I do...but I won't, it's just not in me, LOL.

Enjoyed this post, because it's always fun to read that others feel the same. Makes us feel less alone on this journey of daily rituals.

Kim - In Search of Me in Mommy said...

GREAT post! It is SO true. And thanks for reminding me of my awesomeness!

Jana@Attitude Adjustment said...

I love this. I often think, when I'm overwhelmed, that I just have to forge ahead and stop thinking. Just do it. And then it will get done. (I do think that labor serves as a bit of inspiration. If I can do that, I can do anything....)

Loukia said...

YOU ARE AWESOME for all those reasons and more and for your aweasome blog! :) It's true, the little things we do everyday, the HUNDREDS of little things we do everyday as parents... like you said, getting in uncomfortable positions to get a toy from under the couch, or picking up sticky food from around the high chair, or cleaning up pee, and making the beds, and doing the laundry and picking up the toys... sigh! We are awesome... ;)

MommyLovesStilettos said...

I love this post!!!

lz said...

I couldn't agree more! You are awesome, I am awesome, and all moms who do what they need to do - working, staying home, whatever - are awesome! I think I'll make myself a plaque and send one your way...

Pamela said...

Love your post! Thanks for reminding me that we Mamas truly are awesome:)

Alex and Ashley said...

I just found you through Lou Lou's and I really like your posts! This one is so true. All the things no one in my house even thinks about, I do. Everybody comes to expect food at certain times, socks in their drawers, a clean bathtub, but never realizes that the mommy is behind all these "invisible" things! I love it!

If I Could Escape . . . said...

Oh, how true this is!! A really great post.

Now, I must go finish doing the laundry and fixing that marinade for tea. Just keep swimming, indeed!

Amanda said...

Wow. I can't tell you how much I needed to hear that today after cooking dinner as usual and loading the dishwasher only to unload it again. And tomorrow it's the same old, same old. But I'm so glad to read this. Thank you. I AM freaking awesome!

Emma said...

I have actually stopped swimming a couple of times. Because it can get so god damn overwhelming. Appreciate this post though - thankfully I'm treading water ok right now. :)

Lil said...

Great post, totally agree! Yes we are awesome!

Nick the neighbour! said...

Ahh thanks it's so nice to hear even when we know it. I feel as if I'm treading water and my head is *just* above the water line right now. It's probably the lack of sleep but I got all teary reading this! thanks lady :)

Some kind of Wondermom said...

If your labour was anything like mine, I was wishing for a great big piece of the "YOU CAN DO THIS BECAUSE YOU ARE AWESOME" pie. None came my way. So I'm serving you up a huge slice. Mega sized. Don't be shy, take it, and revel in your awesomeness!

Luschka said...

Great post! It's too true. I'm about two pages in to a book I've beeen trying to read called 'What mothers do when it looks like nothing'. Not sure how it all pans out yet, but thought I'd share that such a book exists, should YOU ever have time to get beyond page two! Lol