Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Over-stretched like an elastic band around an elephant.

Ever feel like you're wading in the ocean, struggling to keep your head above water because you're being pulled down by the bag of rocks that's strapped to your ankle? While at the same time holding a conversation with the woman next to you about the weather as if everything's fine and under control?

I feel like that at the moment. Trying to keep up with my life.

Between studying, family, my practicum which starts in a few weeks, training for the run I signed myself up for, and that other thing (that annoying housework thing that keeps rearing its ugly head every time I turn around) there's so little time at the end of the day it's not even funny.

I read somewhere that when you've too much on your plate you should ....

- Find thirty minutes a day to meditate or relax.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Eat lots of fruits and vegetables.
- Sleep.
- Exercise.
- Start saying no to things.

Um.

What I do when I'm stressed is:

- Up my intake of carbs and sugar.
- Drink more coffee and tea.
- Panic.
- Find anything to do other than the thing I'm supposed to be doing.
- Deny the need to exercise.
- Keep saying yes to things I shouldn't in a state of delirium.

And someone told me that when you've got too much on your plate, you can only do some things well, but you can't do everything well.

Therefore, housework is on the lowest rung of the ladder and I will soon need to hire a team of cleaners to work for me full-time.

Sigh.

How do you cope when you feel like you're being overstretched by life?
Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

20 comments:

The Tompkins Family said...

Stress out, tell myself that a racing heart is a healthy heart, eat sugar to keep energized and DENY DENY DENY.

I'm clearly not the best person to ask for advice about this!

Jules said...

I think I stress myself out more because I feel like I have to "do it all"

Metropolitan Mum said...

I am in the privileged postion to have a cleaner. Twice a week. At the moment she is on a 2-week-long vacation. How dare she?! Now, seriously. I don't know how other mums do it. I am a clean freak and a slave to my house at the moment. And if you'd excuse me now, I have to mob that floor...

Sabreena said...

With high stress I have a tendency to start off like an ostrich by burying my head in the nearest pile of laundry. Then I progress to lashing out landing finally on who gives a damn. It doesn't happen often but when it does it's a wild ride. Good luck, and screw the housework. No one ever died from living in a somewhat dirty house (except maybe the people on haorders but that's extreme).

Sarah and the Gentlemen said...

When I need to get something particular done ... I do everything else. Yep. When I'm stressed by circumstances, I do a lot of praying and try to focus on the big picture instead of the immediate issue.

..... Carmen said...

I put everything aside and take 30 minutes for me. Usually running for 30 minutes helps me to de-stress and clear my head. Hugs to you!

Elaine A. said...

I pretty much handle it the same way you do. I mean really, what's wrong with that plan? ;)

James (SeattleDad) said...

I so relate to you right now. this past week has been nuts for me and I am packing in the coffee and sugar like its going out of style. Resulting in me feeling more like crap.

Sounds like We both need to de-stress

Sparkless said...

I used to wait till the husband got home and made him do the housework that didn't get done.
Now my kids are old enough to do housework too so I make them do some. My son has to earn video game time with chore time. My tub is ever so sparkly now. LOL!

Mwa said...

I know all these good things to do, but they are hard to manage. I do try to do three minute bursts of meditation, just to find my breath and my body. (Sounds floaty, but it helps me.) Maybe try the "do only one thing" approach? And, obviously, start saying no occasionally.

Good luck!

rheanne said...

Oh, I feel for you. I know exactly where you are coming from and feel that way so often. My strategy for dealing with stress always ends up with me crying on my husband's shoulder and him taking on an extra bit of responsibility. The house isn't clean to my standards, but at least it is livable and the kids get extra daddy time at the park or at bedtime while I try to find those elusive minutes for myself. Thinking of you and hoping the elastic band doesn't reach its breaking point.

Loukia said...

Hugs, sweetie. It is all so overwhelming sometimes, isn't it? I don't have a good way to cope. Sometimes I do over-eat. I find it hard to tackle what needs to be tackled, you know? Just remember, you can't do it all. Taking care of two children is ENOUGH - and you know how demanding it is. That alone is a full time job and then some! Good Luck, and don't worry about the little things. xo

gringationcancun said...

I do the same as you... probably with more panicking and less carb intake.

lil said...

Chocolate.

If I Could Escape . . . said...

Call a friend for a sit down and a cup of tea/glass of wine/chocolate! Wished you lived closer and I'd pop over with some for you!

Hope it all gets better for you. Remember the housework can wait as long as your boys are happy and fed! Just please don't forget to breathe!

Kristy said...

Stressed? I read blogs and comment on blogs and write on my blog. Much better now! :)

Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) said...

I do the exact same thing you do! :)

kim - In Search of Me in Mommy said...

Cry...I cry and then feel more overwhelmed - because, "damn it's it pathetic that I am crying!" Trying to figure all that out...if you get the magic solution, I am all ears!

ShannonL said...

I do exactly the same as you too! Especially the "Find anything to do other than the thing I'm supposed to be doing"! Why do we do that to ourselves!? :-)

MummyMatters said...

Each week my MIL has Baby Bean so that I can catch up on my mile long list of jobs and every week I "forget" what I need to do, do something which I DON'T need to do and then the next day remember all the "urgent" things I had forgotten. Every week I vow to write a list to help me remember and 5 minutes later forget that I'm supposed to be writing a list!

We never learn do we!