Thursday, April 29, 2010

The bear that got fixed.

Following on from the incident in the bear store, I took Harry home, all new paws and smiles.

This is Harry, after his operation.


Unfortunately I don't have a before picture because it was just too humiliating to reveal his true state on the Interwebs I forgot to take one. Ahem.

Anyway. He looks okay, right?

Not bad?

Nope.

Harry, upon inspection, was met with the following words.

"OH NOOO!"

"WHAT HAPPENED TO HARRY?"

"OH NOOOO!"

"ON NO HARRY!!"

"THAT'S NOT HARRY!!"

"I DON'T WANT THAT HARRY!!!"

"THAT'S NOT HARRY NO WAAAAAAAAY MAMA!!!!!!!!!"

Basically.

So we took Harry, and tossed him in the garbage.

The end.



Just kidding.

We set him aside for a few hours and later, when the storm had died down and Matthew was being tucked into bed, he nonchalantly asked us...

"Harry's been to doctor today?"

"Yes, that's right. And he's all better now. No more owies." We replied.

"Okay." He said, and snuggled down with his beloved old bear.


Moral of the story? If it ain't broke, or even if it is broke, don't bloody well fix it - just leave it the hell alone.
Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

12 comments:

Metropolitan Mum said...

Little L has one favourite Steiff bear that goes into the washing (yes, the big bad machine) once a week. Accompanied by her heart-wrenching cries.
She sucks on his ears all night long and after a week that thing smells so bloody awful - the first time I thought there was a dead mouse hidden under her bed! ANyway, I think our bear might as well look like Harry if we continue to abuse him like that. I dread the day...

Loukia said...

Okay so yay! He is happy. Harry looks good. Nothing else to worry about, right? Phew... man... it's incidents like this that freak me out as a mom because you don't know how your child will react. I mean, they can have a complete meltdown over a ROCK. Or if, like, you pour their juice in the wrong cup. So a bear... that is so loved... I get it. What an ordeal! Happy for the happy ending! (And good moral of the story, too!)

Karen said...

My son actually pondered whether he should take his bear to university - and then decided against it. But I think he still lurks around the edges of his life. My husband still has his bear somewhere too. These are not stuffed animals - they are loved companions and confidants. Here's to all the Dusty's, Dirties, Henry's, Bobo's and, yes, Harry's of the world!

Gringation Cancun said...

Harry's a cutie!!

Elaine A. said...

Lesson learned, right? It's all good. You did the best you could Momma! :)

Tammy said...

He looks in waaaaaaaay better shape!!!! I think it was good he got the reconstructive surgery. :)

Tanya (Bump2Basics) said...

I have a rabbit, Floppy Eared Rabbit, who looks a bit like Harry and has done since I was about three due to the unyielding love I inflicted upon him. Floppy was also subjected to some operations to my dismay but the pain of that has faded with the years!

Just discovered your blog and really enjoy the read x

James (SeattleDad) said...

Just imagine how freaked he would be if Harry burst from the gut of another bear, ala Alien.

Glad you opted out of that idea.

Luschka said...

Poor thing! At least he accepted it!

Christine said...

One thing I've learned as a mother is that children can be dramatic...there moods are like these giant spectrums of awesomeness. There's no guessing how things will go...so I try not to.

P.S. He looks great...I have just such a bear myself. Have kept him since I was 6. He holds a place of honour in my armoire.

kanishk said...

it was good he got the reconstructive surgery. :)
post free classifieds

Fiona said...

I love your sense of humour! .....so we threw him in the garbage! The End!
LOL,
My son (who incidentley is named Harry himself) has a teddy that was once white but now a very greyish colour!
Know it well!