Thursday, April 8, 2010

Critters in the pantry; sound judgment in the trash.

Very occasionally I'm filled with a surge of motivation to organize a corner of my house that has been long forgotten. Yesterday, it was the pantry. This pantry contains the dog food and recycling bins and has been sadly neglected for months.

As I began furiously attacking it, pulling everything out - plastic recycling bins, grocery bags, dog food - I discovered a bag right at the back - an old red tote containing dog toys. The next thing I saw was a swarm of tiny, tubular worm things. All over the bag. Bugs. Creepy, crawly, dead bug things.

Aaaagghhhhhh.

I attempted to keep breathing, but for a moment I think all oxygen entering and leaving my body ceased, and then, finally, I let out a scream, or a squeal, or maybe something resembling a rodent being strangled. And then, as I felt cold sweaty panic rising up my entire being, I froze.

I hate maggots like an arachnophobe loathes tarantulas. Okay, maybe not that bad, but something like it. Something about the sight of the sneaky little critters makes my skin crawl. I quickly become itchy. I imagine they're all over me. I fear the worst.

But, despite my repulsion of the beasts, I decided I had to tackle them, there and then, because no one else was going to, dammit. I grabbed a garbage bag and begun to lob everything I could lay my hands on in there. I vowed to myself that not a single one of the eerie little bastards would be left by the time I was done. I was on a mission.

I threw out everything I could lay my hands on - the red tote, the dog toys, every container and bag in sight. As I tried to dispose of it all, some of the pesky fiends fell out onto the floor. Some of them became stuck to my socks. They attached to the sides of the garbage bag. They were fixed to everything with some kind of strange static.

I screamed.

My toddler tried to enter the room, interested in the commotion. I yelled for him to leave right away. Then I apologized, but told him to stay away for now.

I began having paranoid visions of maggots taking over the world, infesting my life, of them trying to eat me and kill me with their poisonous venom. (what? Maggots totally could have poisonous venom!)

I screamed. I stamped my feet. I took off my socks and threw them away as well.

I held my breath, not wanting to breathe in maggots. I threw everything out, then took the garbage bags to the back garden.

Then I vacuumed fiercely, probing every nook of the pantry with the nozzle.

When the frantic episode of cleaning and disinfecting was done, and all the nasty insects were gone, I sat, googling pictures of household pests. You know, just to torture myself further.

Then I perched on the sofa, frozen, itching and feeling queasy. I called J at work to confirm that maggots were not, in fact dangerous. You know, just in case.

After that, my day was basically ruined by the indelible image of the maggots. In my house.

Later that night we were sitting, watching telly and, out of the corner of my eye I glimpsed one - a tricky little bug, clinging to the side of the footstool.

"AAARRRRGGHHH!" I shrieked, waving my finger at the thing and inching into the back of the sofa.

"What? What the hell is wrong?" J asked, a little alarmed by my shrieking.

"It's a beast! A maggot! GET IT OUT!!!"

"What? This?" Jesse picked the devil thing off the footstool to inspect it.

"Nooooooo!" It was too much to bare. The touching, the examining, at close range.

"Sarah."

"Get it out! Now!"

"Sarah."

"What!"

"This. This is a grain of rice."

"What?"

"A grain of rice. From dinner."

"THAT IS A MAGGOT!" I yelled convincingly and promptly moved to the other side of the room.

"No. It's not a maggot. It's a grain of rice."

"Oh?"

" Yes. Those "maggots" you saw earlier - did they look like this?"

"Exactly like that! Are you sure that's not a maggot?"

"They were white? This size? With ridges like this?"

"Yes?"

"And none of them were moving?"

"No?"

"Remember a week ago we had take-out sushi for dinner and we threw the containers in the recycling?"

"Yes?"

"I think some of the rice must have fallen on the floor behind the recycling bin."

"Oh."

Some further examination of the grain of rice, and googling of pictures of real maggots confirmed that, yes okay, what I'd been throwing a screaming tantrum over were, in fact, grains of flipping rice.

Socks: gone. Dog toys: gone. Sanity: gone.
Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

16 comments:

MommyLovesStilettos said...

HAHAHAHA!!!

I had an ant problem a few days ago and I totally freaked out. I felt itchy and could not stop thinking about the ants. ewwwwww.

I would probably have a heart attack if I saw a maggot. I'm glad you didn't actually have maggots. LOL

Sara Plays House said...

Oh my good gracious!
You did EXACTLY what I would have done. You can never be too careful when it comes to larvae.
Eeeeew.
(But I'm really glad it was just rice. You'll sleep better tonight, feeling silly or no.)

Kim - In Search of Me in Mommy said...

I almost stopped reading 'cuz just the thought of those things (I even hate to use that m-word) was giving me the creeps! But LOL... TOOOO funny. Oh, and after all that cleaning and ridding my house of them...I would of had to of taken a shower. FUNNY, FUNNY!

LisaDay said...

HA, HA, HA.

However, I was good and creeped out. Way to go.

LisaDay

gringationcancun said...

This story had me on the edge of my seat!! I felt them crawling on me too. :( And the ending didn't disappoint hahaha

At least you can sleep at night now, cuz I'm pretty sure maggots are venemous, too. Right? ... Right?

ShannonL said...

LOL! I am crying! First from the thought of maggots crawling on me (ick!) and now with laughter!

I would have reacted the EXACT same way that you did (if they were actually maggots, of course). I love that it was only rice. That's an awesome story. :-)

Pamela said...

LOL! Don't feel too bad, I've done the exact same thing when cleaning out my "baking supplies" cupboard. (Not that I bake more than once per year:) Some brown rice had spilled & I freaked out thinking maggots had gotten into the sugar bowl. I immediately threw out everything in sight! Nothing I fear more than maggots (except maybe mice) *Shudders*

Snaffles Mummy said...

I am absolutley, positivley, under no circumstances laughing. oops. sorry. it is kind of funny though!

lil said...

LOL hilarious!!!

Amanda said...

Priceless. And even better told in person, thanks for the laugh!

Chic Mama said...

I'm releasing a sigh of relief for you right now. I hate things like that too and react in the same way.
I have also done very similar...rice being a common culprit. I've also mistaken onion seeds that you get on nan bread for mouse droppings. ;0)

Tammy said...

Oh gawd I would have died too.. lol..

James (SeattleDad) said...

Haha. You might want to avoid Asian food for a while.

RainSplats said...

hahahaha! You're the best! I love that you threw all that stuff away - I would've done the same. Stupid rice.

Maria @BOREDmommy said...

AWESOME.

Thanks for the laugh.

Metropolitan Mum said...

HAHAHAHA.

Poor you!