Sunday, April 25, 2010

Crocodiles don't have this problem.

It's around this time of year I begin to care about the dry, flaky skin on my body that I've been trying, successfully, to ignore. Six months of Canadian winter will suck every last drop of moisture from your skin and leave you with a shell that's as dry as a desert. And (ahem) if you've been sloppy about taking care of your skin (ahem), then you might be in dire need of help around now.

Before kids, when there was this magical disposable income thingy, and this magical spare time thingy, I used to invest in beautifying my body for summer. Visions of bare arms and legs had me rushing to the beauty counter - splurging on pricey, cucumber-scented, technologically-advanced miracle stuff that was going to turn me into a glowing goddess by the time sandals and backless tops were on show. There's no way of telling whether these utter waste of money products worked. But they made me feel better.

It was around this time of year that bottles, tubes and jars of body scrubs, creams, face creams with SPF (Clinique City Block was a favourite) began appearing on my bathroom shelf like the the world was running out of them. I'd get a pedicure, and treat myself some new pants, sandals and t-shirts. Okay, basically a whole new summer wardrobe. It was all just part of the summer ritual of preparing for the exposure of skin previously unseen for long, cold months.

Now, with less money and less time to lounge around the bathroom slathering myself in expensive body creams, I'm more about drug store purchases than beauty counter purchases. DIY pedicures over salon pedicures. Etc.

And, as I've discovered, there are quite a few good beautifying products on the market that don't require a second job. Like, Neutrogena's Body Clear Body Scrub. It retails at around $10 and does a pretty good job at sloughing off rough, dry skin.

Then there are body butters. I learned, while reading up on oils and lotions for my massage therapy studies, that body butters are one of the best ways to hydrate dry skin. Body Shop sells some good ones, and there are lots in the stores too. I'm addicted to the stuff. It is going to save my legs and make them smooth and buff, just in time for summer. Whoo.

Of course, the one really good secret for improving the appearance of one's skin is, um, exercise. Which, is - you know - free! Yeah. So. About that race I signed up for.... Let's not ruin this with talk of exercise, okay?

What are your summer beautifying secrets?


None of the products or brands mentioned in this post were paid for in any way. These are simply my own opinions.
Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

4 comments:

Cindi @ Moomette's Magnificents said...

Body Scrubs are my favorite! I recently discovered them!

Visiting from SITS

Mwa said...

I need to get my act together as well. My daughter actually asked me why I had sugar on my hands the other day. It was my skin flaking off.

gringationcancun said...

St Ives Apricot Exfoliant. Oh. My. Gosh. Just use it every 2 or 3 days (or less) and your face looks SO SMOOTH. It's pretty cheap, too. (I've heard scrubbing a mixture of honey and sugar has the exact same effect as a store-bought exfoliant.) Also works miracles on feet, hands, elbows, etc.

Bright pink or bright orange toenail polish also works wonders to make feet look very summery and sandal-ready.

Jergen's gradual tanner stuff is also amazing, and it gives you just the right glow (while moisturizing). Skip the instant tans.

I use this awesome foundation that's Covergirl/Oil of Olay mix. It has a swirly pattern. It moisturizes (Olay cream mixed in) and also has SPF 22. It goes on really smooth and looks very light.

I don't go through much winter-weather abuse, but I do have to be summer-ready all the time in Cancun.

Metropolitan Mum said...

I didn't know that about body butter. I love Bodyshops' body butters. But for some strange reason I thought it wasn't good to smother your skin in it. Maybe because I thought of... butter?