Monday, April 26, 2010

The most expensive babysitter in the world.

There are two things that suck about doing a practicum when you're not twenty and you have kids: 1 - you don't get paid for it, and 2 - you have to pay for childcare for the days you work at the non-paying job. Which, hello? Sucks.

Except, I love my practicum. So I'll stop whining about it now.

Lucky for me, my mother-in-law offered to watch the boys one day a week, and then, through a friend, I found a great dayhome willing to take the boys the other day.

Yahoo.

Only problem is, there's really no room for maneuver. If one of the arrangements falls through, I'm stuck. At a push I could beg a friend and offer them money / babysitting / blood - anything, if they'd do it. But most of them have kids too, so it's not an easy request nor one I'd resort to lightly.

During one of our weekly phone chats, I mentioned to my Mum (in England) that my dayhome was closing for a week at the end of May, and that I was trying to figure out alternative arrangements.

A few days later, she called me to suggest she come for a visit the last week in May. She'd been intending to plan a trip to Canada to visit me and the kids anyway, and in doing so could also cover the childcare situation.

Which.... YAY!

It's been about a year since I last saw my Mum. A whole year. So yes, I'm thrilled, ecstatic. She's coming.

Now I need to start cleaning the house...
Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

15 comments:

James (SeattleDad) said...

What a nice Mothers Day gift. Maybe by then the ash cloud will have cleared away?

sarah said...

That's so awesome!! Love the way that just worked out!

..... Carmen said...

How absolutely wonderful Sarah! Woot!

Mwa said...

Yay!!! If only you'd know something like this would get her on a plane before, right? Better put this in your book of tricks.

MommyLovesStilettos said...

That's exciting! :)

FRANNIE said...

How absolutely fab is that! Mom visits are awesome. Enjoy every minute. :)

LisaDay said...

Wow wonderful for you and the boys. Enjoy.

LisaDay

Metropolitan Mum said...

Fabulous. I hope you have a lovely time together.

Kristy said...

Moms are the best!

Elaine A. said...

How exciting! I bet you can't wait! Such a fabulous solution... :D

Some kind of Wondermom said...

What kind of practicum are you doing?

chitogr54 said...

Moms really are great! You're quite fortunate that you still have your mom for 'back-up'. What about those facing the same dilemma but don't have any mom's to help them out? Then, childcare centres are the next best solution. Just make sure these centres have high standards and your children will benefit from attending them. I just read in this link- Daycare that the creative arts, including music, movement, dramatic play, puppetry, painting, sculpture, and drawing, are a crucial part of early childhood. Not only do the arts allow children to express themselves, but creative activity can enhance development of children's skills in literacy, science, math, social studies, and more.

If I Could Escape . . . said...

Awww, how wonderful for you. Mums really are the best aren't they? I know how lucky I am with my mum living very near me. Enjoy!

Lady Mama said...

Some Kind of Wonderwoman - it's for my massage therapy course.

kanishk said...

That's so awesome!! Love the way that just worked out!
post free classifieds